Bracey, VA
Stabilizing a lakeside slope from Bracey, VA
We are trying to beautify and stabilize a relatively large lakeside steep slope with a southern exposure in central Virginia. The soil is characterized by red clay and shale rock. How can we turn this...

Victoria, VA
Large weed removal in Victoria VA
I have a weed problem. Along my house and garage are several weeds that have grown to small-tree size. I plan to rip them out of the ground as soon as it cools off, but I've done this before and they...

Victoria, VA
Native plants for a barrier hedge
Is there a native hedge I can plant to provide privacy? I have hostile neighbors behind me and would rather plant a hedge than put up a fence. I looked through the Virginia native species and didn'...

Keysville, VA
Identification of woodland plant in a rual area ? we have bears britches and another plant simaler, but the leaves are flat and smooth, each leaf is on a seperate stalk and each plant has 3 stalk...

Dinwiddie, VA
Identification of a plant saprophytic on oaks
What is name of plant poking up through the leaves near base of oak tree that appears as a cluster of yellow-brown stalks that resemble small pinecones or pineapples or cobs of corn?

Wake Forest, NC
Rain garden plants for NC
I have a small creek at the back of our property, it's normally dry except when it rains. Builders removed the natural plants and left it bare. What native plants could I plant in it to bring it bac...

Alton, VA
Can foxglove poison be transmitted to the soil and taken up by another plant
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, Recently I discovered a Foxglove that had come up after being planted 2 or 3 yrs ago. Next to it I have some medicinal Feverfew growing. (They were so close together I suspec...

Roxboro, NC
Plant identification of tree in North Carolina
I live in North Carolina have found a tree on our property that has thorny branches and round fruit (perfectly round) with a fuzzy outer layer that starts out green but then turns yellow. The inside r...

Farmville, VA
Volunteer bluebonnets in Farmville VA
I have two small Texas bluebonnet plants that came with no instructions as to how to plant them regarding soil or sun. Everything I read has to do with seeds, can you please help me? Thank you.

Knightdale, NC
Need a shrub to conceal a privacy fence in Knightdale, NC.
Could you recommend a medium-sized shrub/bush (max height of 6-7 feet) to plant along a privacy fence (purpose is to conceal the fence from the street view per HOA)? I live in Zone 8.

Knightdale, NC
Changing color of non-native crape myrtles
How do you change the color of a bloom on a crape myrtle tree?

Durham, NC
Foundation garden in shade in Durham, NC
I'm trying to replant a 3'x8' garden near the foundation of our house in Durham, NC. This part of the yard gets little, if any, sun and is mostly clay. I've tried adding compost and soil conditi...

Durham, NC
Number of wild flowers in Durham NC compared to all of North Carolina
How many wild flowers have been identified in the North Carolina Area compared to just in Durham. I would like to photograph them all and want to know how close I can get to capturing photos of all th...

Durham, NC
Smarty Plants on milkweed
I am looking for a photo of the local milkweed in the state of North Carolina. The name would be a help also. I am raising butterflies and I am in dire need of plants.

Durham, NC
Identity of purple flower with flowers similar to witch hazel
Found along woods roads. Purple flower about 1 - 2 ft. in height. Central stem rises from a ground level leaf whorl of five leaves from 4 to 7 inches long and 2 to 3 inches at their widest point. C...

Durham, NC
Plants for North Myrtle Beach SC
What plants will do well at North Myrtle Beach, SC that will take full sun with dry soil?

Durham, NC
Wildflower seed sources for Collinsia verna.
Hello, I am looking for seeds of Collinsia verna to plant in my woodland wildflower garden. I live in NC, a bit out of the native range, so don't have immediate access to native seeds. Do you kno...

Durham, NC
In spot in the garden where tomatoes grew last this year, previous to planting what looks to me like a shamrock plant came up until it bloomed. Now it looks like some of the fuschia plants only the le...

Durham, NC
No pictures only memory. It looks like a dried flower and grows with other wildflowers along roadside. It is mostly purple or blue purple and sometimes called statis. Stems favor dandelions, only t...

Durham, NC
How to tell the girls from the boys in wax myrtles (Morella cerifera)
How would I be able to identify whether my wax myrtles are male or female plants? I was given two plants last fall (that came from a family members back yard) and the person who gave them to me didn'...

Durham, NC
Grass lawn from Durham NC
Durham, NC. Want to plant a small front grass lawn, full sun, dry. Willing to mow. Not good about watering. Advice?