Louisa, VA
Plant identification from Virginia
We found lots of asparagus like stalks growing randomly in our field here in central Virginia. But, instead of an asparagus head it has a tight cluster of leaves that are small and roundish. Any idea...

Kents Store, VA
Balancing bloom in beds in Kents Store VA
Our beds along a walkway in rural Central VA have replanted themselves - oenethera speciosa and dwarf yarrow have abandoned the north bed and are flourishing in the south bed. Sedums, lavender and can...

Troy, VA
What kind of native Junipers will grow in zone 7?
What kinds of native Juniper will grow in zone 7 ? (besides Juniperus scopulorum and J.virginiana).

Troy, VA
What is the growth rate of the table mountain pine in zone 6 & 7?
How fast growing is the table mountain pine in Zones 6 and 7 in the Appalachians? What is the growth rate?

Rochelle, VA
Bulk seed purchases for naturalizing area in Rochelle VA
I am planning on naturalizing an area, ~ 7 acres, with wildflowers. I am spending quite a bit preparing the acreage and find I am falling short on funds for the bulk purchase of wildflower seeds. Ca...

Spotsylvania, VA
Care for non-native ice plant in Virginia
Regarding the ice plant in Virginia - do you cut it back or just trim or just leave it alone before winter?

Charlottesville, VA
Non-native impatiens from Charlottesville VA
Question about type of impatiens. My Alabama mother grew these and called them touch-me-not. They grow about 2 feet tall and blooms grow UNDER the leaf canopy up the stem. Colors I have are pale pink ...

Charlottesville, VA
Tip Dieback on Lonicera sempervirens
I have a Lonicera sempervirens (coral honeysuckle) vine in Virginia which does well early in the season, but then around July, the very tips of its shoots (just the last 1-2 inches) wither, turn black...

Charlottesville, VA
A tree for fall color in VA
I need a small to medium-sized tree for enclosure/privacy screening. I'm looking for a fast-growing, deciduous tap-rooted tree for a lawn area about 30-40' away from an existing mature Linden, and ...

Charlottesville, VA
Riverbank retention in VA
I need some groundcover/bank retention for a Virginia riverbank in mixed sun and shade. I want to plant something native to VA. the area is out of the water but subject to occasional (4-5 times per y...

Charlottesville, VA
Plant to hang over and cover a wall
HI! this is a stumper for me! I have a 6 foot wall bracing a hill on one side and a lawn on the other. It is currently cement and I would like to find something to cover it --evergreen would be the...

Charlottesville, VA
Purple Passionflower as a native in Charlottesville VA
Is it possible to grow purple passion flower as a perennial in zone 7? I am looking for hummers and butterflies to be attracted by the plant. Thank you.

Charlottesville, VA
Low-growing plants for a slope in the shade
Hello, I'm looking for native plants to put in the shade (within the drip-line) of a well-established American Holly. The area gets deep shade; it is also on a very gentle north-exposure slope. We ...

Charlottesville, VA
Edible Plants for a Virginia Rain Garden
Can you recommend edible plants that would be appropriate for use in a rain garden? I'm located in Charlottesville, VA, but this can be in general as well.

Charlottesville, VA
Plants for a bank too steep to mow
Like the inquiry made in late June of 2008, mine involves a bank that is too steep to mow. However, ours is facing south. I am looking for a native grass, plant or groundcover. Any suggestions? ...

Charlottesville, VA
Sources for Paronychia virginica in Virginia
Greetings, I noticed that you have Paronychia virginica for sale in your spring plant sale. Despite the plant sharing the name of my fair state, I've been unable to find a source for it. Given...

Charlottesville, VA
Would Habiturf or buffalograss work in Charlottesville VA
Hello, I am looking for an alternative to traditional turf grasses. I stumbled upon some information on your site about buffalo grass and LBJWC's 'Habiturf' mix and would like to know if this w...

Earlysville, VA
Identification of small mint-like plant in Virginia
I am looking for a mint plant my mother use to have but we didn't plant. It grew in Earlysville, Virginia in red clay soil. The cat loved it but it was neither catnip nor catmint. It was under six in...

Doswell, VA
Non-toxic plants for horses in Virginia from Doswell VA
Looking for a list of Non Toxic plants to horses in the State of Virginia.

Powthan , VA
Reproducing Echinacea 'Sunbeam' from Powthan VA
I would like to reproduce a flowering plant- Sundown echinacea. I have a plant now. Can you give me info on how to do it? thanks so much.

Fredericksburg, VA
Low cost landscaping in Federicksburg VA
Hello, I live in Fredericksburg Va and I rent a townhome with a small yard. My back yard is almost completely mud and my front yard has a hideous square shrub. So my question is do you have any plant ...