Reisterstown, MD
Need replacements for old arborvitaes destroyed by snow and ice in Reisterstown, MD.
Our big old arborvitaes have been destroyed by snow and ice. Rather than a fence we would like to use plants/bushes for privacy. We live in zip 21136. This would extend all across the back property l...

Western, MD
Landscaping with wildflowers in shade in Maryland
I'm an old White House Correspondent who covered LBJ as well as Mrs Johnson and knew and admired her. I visited the Wildflower Center with her on one occasion. I hope you will forward this to an appr...

Granite, MD
Getting rid of invasive, non-native Ailanthus altissimma, Tree of Heaven
We live in Granite, MD and are trying to get rid of an invasive "tree of heaven". Based on a recommendation from a website dedicated to eradicating invasive plants,my husband cut down the tree which...

Hampstead, MD
What is wrong with my Weeping Willow?
I have a weeping willow tree for about 7 years. It's about 50 feet high and the bark is separating and it starting to drip and collect on trunk bottom a suds type substance. Looks like soap suds. T...

Westminster, MD
Should non-native invasive Wisteria be planted near well and septic system?
I was told not to plant my Wisteria vine near my septic or well because the root will get into it and cause me many problems. Is this true?

Westminster, MD
Control of Paulownia tomentosa from Westminster MD
I have heard that there is a type of herbicide that is to be applied to slashes made in the outer layer of invasive trees such as Paulownia. This type of application is reputed to prevent the little ...

Phoenix, MD
Weeds in Blue Rug juniper in Phoenix MD
The landscaper planted Blue Rug Junipers around the Helleri Holly and Yews in front of my house ten years ago. The Blue Rug has done great and looks really nice. My problem is that weeds grow up in ...

Towson, MD
Groundcover for a Sunny, Steep Slope in Maryland
I need a groundcover for a sunny dry steep slope in Towson, Maryland. The slope goes from the parking lot down to a deck area.

Towson, MD
Leafing out problems with oaks in Towson MD
3 native 5-year-old oaks kept old leaves until March and are not leafing by the end of May. The few leaves that have emerged are shriveled. WHAT'S WRONG?

Manchester, MD
Looking for crowsfoot and standing spruce for Christmas wreaths in Maryland
Hi, When I was a young child, my family would go out in the fall to pick two different plants for making Christmas wreaths. I recently found them on the farm across the street and want to make wreaths...

Manchester, MD
I picked a beautiful large red wildflower, & by the time I got home, the stem had turned "spikey" and dark black! Very ugly & a little scary as I had never heard of such a flower! Can you identify??

Manchester, MD
Plants for a property near a conservation area in MD
Can you tell me what native plants and the type of landscaping that would be good to plant in front of a forest conservation area that is on a steep hill behind our future house? It is located in Manc...

Ellicott City, MD
Shade Tree for Baltimore Patio
I am looking for a deep-rooted shade tree (or a tall shrub) for near my patio in Baltimore, Md. I desire shade in summer, but with minimum impact to the patio. The tree would be about 20 feet from the...

Harford, MD
Medicinal purposes of the common pepper
Hello. I am a student at North Harford High School in Harford County, Maryland. I am currently doing a project in environmental science which requires me to do an interview, or at least ask some que...

Baltimore, MD
Transplant shock in Achillea millefolium
I had a clump of yarrow in my garden and was worried that it would become very aggressive to the other plants. I decided to transplant it into large clay pots to control it. Immediately after the tran...

Baltimore, MD
Literature on native plants and wildlife from Baltimore
Can you tell me a good review of the literature on the relation between native plants and ecology; for example, a study might indicate how native plants support more birds or other wildlife.

Baltimore, MD
Need recommendations for native plants on a dry sunny hillside in Baltimore Maryland.
Need native recommendations for sunny, dry hillside for ground cover or shrub in Maryland. Mowing the grass is a pain and an energy waster (and I don't want to be tempted to extend some adjacent exi...

Baltimore, MD
Deciduous tree with tap root
I have a 13 foot space between two town houses and would like to plant a slender deciduous tree up to 30 feet in height with a tendency to tap root so as not to disturb the foundation of the houses. ...

Baltimore, MD
Simple flowers vs. compound flowers
Please, give the characteristics of a "simple flower" as distinct from a compound flower which has rays and "disk flowers". What type of flower is the flower of a chive,which seems to be composed...

Baltimore, MD
Blue plants or flowers in Baltimore, MD
I have a taxi company in the city called Bluecab. The headquarters is in an industrial area and the soil is tough and well, industrial. There will be no watering or maintenance done. Looks like a car ...

Baltimore, MD
Native plants more beneficial for Maryland and Chesapeake Bay?
Why are native plant species more beneficial than non native plant species for the state of Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay?