Pasadena, MD
Yellowing of Thuja occidentalis leaves in early Fall in Maryland
Mr. Smarty Plants, I am from Maryland. Please help. I have planted 23 Thuja occidentalis Smaragd in my front yard a few months ago. Height of about 3 feet. Most of the trees have turned golden brown....

Pasadena, MD
Curling, Red Leaves on Gaura
My gaura had most of its lower leaves turn red and then fall off. It is July now, I bought and planted it in May where it seemed to do really well growing several more inches tall and blooming nicely....

Severn, MD
Native shrub to replace non-native azaleas.
I want to replace my two dozen azaleas this spring (I think they're unattractive once the flowers fall off). I like the multiseason characteristics of weigela (midnight wine, W&R), but want to go na...

Severn, MD
Native grasses for a sandy Maryland yard
Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Severn (AA County) where we have sandy soil and on a well/septic system. Can you tell me a native grass I can seed in my yard? Something hardy and does not require a ...

Linthicum Heights, MD
Elimination of non-native English ivy in Maryland
I have Old English Ivy sprouting up throughout my side yard. What can I do to get rid of it? Would putting lime down help or Crabgrass control? What would you suggest and the easier the better as I...

Annapolis, MD
Shrubs for Shade in Annapolis MD
Can you please recommend dense shade tolerant shrubs for Annapolis, Maryland.

Annapolis, MD
Shrub with red two-globed berries
I am looking for the name of a red berry with 2 globes attached to each other on a plant with small soft oval shaped leaves.I live in Maryland and they are maturing now. These bushes are in the park ...

Annapolis, MD
Magnolia and non-native weeping willow competing in Annapolis
We planted a sweetbay magnolia next to a Weeping Willow in our yard and did not anticipate the willow would grow so quickly and into the magnolia. We have had the magnolia now for 3 years, and it is c...

Annapolis, MD
Non-native crape myrtle resistance to deer from Annapolis MD
Is Crape Myrtle tree resistant to deers? Thank you.

Annapolis, MD
Source for Penstemon calycocus
Do you know where I can obtain Penstemon calycocus? I live in Annapolis. I am willing to look at mail order sources.

Annapolis, MD
Rotating a non-native cypress in its hole in Annapolis, MD
I have a follow up question to a Cypress transplant question from December 28, 2008. We trimmed our 5 1/2 foot Dwarf Hinoki Cypress back too far, and now the side facing the street has some bare spot...

Annapolis, MD
Hybrid Leyland Cypress leaning in Annapolis MC
We have a large, 9-year old Leyland Cypress that has tipped over. It is still green and growing but leaning slightly off center. It's about 20' tall. Should we stake it? If so, we'd like to do ...

Baltimore., MD
Information about native aconitum
There was a picture of a plant in our local newspaper this past week. In the photo ID they called this plant an aconite, a member of the buttercup family. My questions are: is there such a plant? is i...

Baltimore, MD
Location of Agalinis acuta, sandplain gerardia.
Where can the sandplain gerardia be found?

Baltimore, MD
Native plants more beneficial for Maryland and Chesapeake Bay?
Why are native plant species more beneficial than non native plant species for the state of Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay?

Baltimore, MD
Blue plants or flowers in Baltimore, MD
I have a taxi company in the city called Bluecab. The headquarters is in an industrial area and the soil is tough and well, industrial. There will be no watering or maintenance done. Looks like a car ...

Baltimore, MD
Evergreen Privacy Screen for Maryland
I am looking for an evergreen that will suffice to be planted as a privacy screen between my property and my neighbors. Looking to plant a row at the property line. The lot is shaded most of the d...

Baltimore, MD
Transplant shock in Achillea millefolium
I had a clump of yarrow in my garden and was worried that it would become very aggressive to the other plants. I decided to transplant it into large clay pots to control it. Immediately after the tran...

Baltimore, MD
Non-native Littleleaf Boxwood and native alternatives for Baltimore
I am looking for a small hedge or shrub, that will look nice year round, and won't get too large. I live in Baltimore, MD. I have heard of Winter Gem Boxwood. Will this prove hardy in my area? H...

Baltimore, MD
Identification of small plant with white flowers in Baltimore, MD
It's a small plant, has flowers in June, four white petals with large, tall conical center, about no more than an inch in diameter. The leaves are alternating with branched veins. It stays at about 6...

Baltimore, MD
Need recommendations for native plants on a dry sunny hillside in Baltimore Maryland.
Need native recommendations for sunny, dry hillside for ground cover or shrub in Maryland. Mowing the grass is a pain and an energy waster (and I don't want to be tempted to extend some adjacent exi...