A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Pasadena, MD
Yellowing of Thuja occidentalis leaves in early Fall in Maryland
Mr. Smarty Plants, I am from Maryland. Please help. I have planted 23 Thuja occidentalis Smaragd in my front yard a few months ago. Height of about 3 feet. Most of the trees have turned golden brown....

Pasadena, MD
Curling, Red Leaves on Gaura
My gaura had most of its lower leaves turn red and then fall off. It is July now, I bought and planted it in May where it seemed to do really well growing several more inches tall and blooming nicely....

Severn, MD
Native grasses for a sandy Maryland yard
Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Severn (AA County) where we have sandy soil and on a well/septic system. Can you tell me a native grass I can seed in my yard? Something hardy and does not require a ...

Severn, MD
Native shrub to replace non-native azaleas.
I want to replace my two dozen azaleas this spring (I think they're unattractive once the flowers fall off). I like the multiseason characteristics of weigela (midnight wine, W&R), but want to go na...

Linthicum Heights, MD
Elimination of non-native English ivy in Maryland
I have Old English Ivy sprouting up throughout my side yard. What can I do to get rid of it? Would putting lime down help or Crabgrass control? What would you suggest and the easier the better as I...

Annapolis, MD
Source for Penstemon calycocus
Do you know where I can obtain Penstemon calycocus? I live in Annapolis. I am willing to look at mail order sources.

Annapolis, MD
Shrub with red two-globed berries
I am looking for the name of a red berry with 2 globes attached to each other on a plant with small soft oval shaped leaves.I live in Maryland and they are maturing now. These bushes are in the park ...

Annapolis, MD
Shrubs for Shade in Annapolis MD
Can you please recommend dense shade tolerant shrubs for Annapolis, Maryland.

Annapolis, MD
Non-native crape myrtle resistance to deer from Annapolis MD
Is Crape Myrtle tree resistant to deers? Thank you.

Annapolis, MD
Hybrid Leyland Cypress leaning in Annapolis MC
We have a large, 9-year old Leyland Cypress that has tipped over. It is still green and growing but leaning slightly off center. It's about 20' tall. Should we stake it? If so, we'd like to do ...

Annapolis, MD
Magnolia and non-native weeping willow competing in Annapolis
We planted a sweetbay magnolia next to a Weeping Willow in our yard and did not anticipate the willow would grow so quickly and into the magnolia. We have had the magnolia now for 3 years, and it is c...

Annapolis, MD
Rotating a non-native cypress in its hole in Annapolis, MD
I have a follow up question to a Cypress transplant question from December 28, 2008. We trimmed our 5 1/2 foot Dwarf Hinoki Cypress back too far, and now the side facing the street has some bare spot...

Baltimore., MD
Information about native aconitum
There was a picture of a plant in our local newspaper this past week. In the photo ID they called this plant an aconite, a member of the buttercup family. My questions are: is there such a plant? is i...

Baltimore, MD
Blue plants or flowers in Baltimore, MD
I have a taxi company in the city called Bluecab. The headquarters is in an industrial area and the soil is tough and well, industrial. There will be no watering or maintenance done. Looks like a car ...

Baltimore, MD
Location of Agalinis acuta, sandplain gerardia.
Where can the sandplain gerardia be found?

Baltimore, MD
Deciduous tree with tap root
I have a 13 foot space between two town houses and would like to plant a slender deciduous tree up to 30 feet in height with a tendency to tap root so as not to disturb the foundation of the houses. ...

Baltimore, MD
Simple flowers vs. compound flowers
Please, give the characteristics of a "simple flower" as distinct from a compound flower which has rays and "disk flowers". What type of flower is the flower of a chive,which seems to be composed...

Baltimore, MD
Identification of small plant with white flowers in Baltimore, MD
It's a small plant, has flowers in June, four white petals with large, tall conical center, about no more than an inch in diameter. The leaves are alternating with branched veins. It stays at about 6...

Baltimore, MD
Wildflowers for an April wedding in Baltimore
Dear Mr Smarty Pants, Thank you for your help. Our niece wants native wildflowers blooming at her wedding on April 17, 2010 which will be at a family home on the Eastern Shore of Maryland between Ba...

Baltimore, MD
Transplant shock in Achillea millefolium
I had a clump of yarrow in my garden and was worried that it would become very aggressive to the other plants. I decided to transplant it into large clay pots to control it. Immediately after the tran...

Baltimore, MD
Native plants for a bioswale in Baltimore
What native plants would suit a bioswale in an urban part of Baltimore City? The clay soil gets waterlogged and the site has part shade.