A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Fallston, MD
Orientation of roots of Ranunculus
I need to know how to plant "Ranunculus". I don't know which way to put the rhizomes/bulbs in the ground. Do they go flat side down or strange long tubular things upward ?

Fallston, MD
Shriveling and dying of non-native impatiens
Several years now many of my impatiens after a month or so seem to shrivel up and eventually die. They are planted in a row and not all are affected. I am not noticing any slug evidence which I would...

Abingdon, MD
Sources for plants from Abingdon MD
What stores or nursuries in Harford County sell already grown Coral honeysuckle, Purple passion flower, trumpet creeper, and crossvine?

Nottingham, MD
Suggestions for alternatives to invasive, non-native English ivy
Can English ivy be planted in a pot, kept oudoors, and expected to endure our Maryland winters?

nottingham, MD
Is red tip Photinia toxic to dogs?
Is the red tip bush toxic to dogs?

Phoenix, MD
Weeds in Blue Rug juniper in Phoenix MD
The landscaper planted Blue Rug Junipers around the Helleri Holly and Yews in front of my house ten years ago. The Blue Rug has done great and looks really nice. My problem is that weeds grow up in ...

Harford, MD
Medicinal purposes of the common pepper
Hello. I am a student at North Harford High School in Harford County, Maryland. I am currently doing a project in environmental science which requires me to do an interview, or at least ask some que...

Towson, MD
Groundcover for a Sunny, Steep Slope in Maryland
I need a groundcover for a sunny dry steep slope in Towson, Maryland. The slope goes from the parking lot down to a deck area.

Towson, MD
Leafing out problems with oaks in Towson MD
3 native 5-year-old oaks kept old leaves until March and are not leafing by the end of May. The few leaves that have emerged are shriveled. WHAT'S WRONG?

Western, MD
Landscaping with wildflowers in shade in Maryland
I'm an old White House Correspondent who covered LBJ as well as Mrs Johnson and knew and admired her. I visited the Wildflower Center with her on one occasion. I hope you will forward this to an appr...

Fawn Grove, PA
Low plants to cover bank too steep to mow
I have a bank along the road that is too steep to mow. This bank faces east and only gets 2 - 4 hours per day of sunlight. I'd like to try ground cover to prevent erosion, however visibility is a p...

Delta, PA
I have a very distinctive vine accompanying morning glory in invading my beds - it is Prickly! (on the vine, underside of leaves, leaf stems). The leaf is not arrowhead, but a triangle; I've not seen...

Delta, PA
Is crow's foot endangered from Delta PA
I, too, used crows foot in Christmas Wreaths. I have recently heard that is endangered and you could be fined picking it and using it. Wondering if this is a true statement. There is still lots in ...

Baltimore, MD
Wildflowers for an April wedding in Baltimore
Dear Mr Smarty Pants, Thank you for your help. Our niece wants native wildflowers blooming at her wedding on April 17, 2010 which will be at a family home on the Eastern Shore of Maryland between Ba...

Baltimore, MD
Smarty Plants on epiphyllums
I don't have a digital cameria, but I hope you can identify my plants easily by description. I believe they are called something similar to the word "epithelium". They look like a "mother-in-la...

Baltimore, MD
Need recommendations for native plants on a dry sunny hillside in Baltimore Maryland.
Need native recommendations for sunny, dry hillside for ground cover or shrub in Maryland. Mowing the grass is a pain and an energy waster (and I don't want to be tempted to extend some adjacent exi...

Baltimore, MD
Evergreen Privacy Screen for Maryland
I am looking for an evergreen that will suffice to be planted as a privacy screen between my property and my neighbors. Looking to plant a row at the property line. The lot is shaded most of the d...

Baltimore, MD
Non-native Littleleaf Boxwood and native alternatives for Baltimore
I am looking for a small hedge or shrub, that will look nice year round, and won't get too large. I live in Baltimore, MD. I have heard of Winter Gem Boxwood. Will this prove hardy in my area? H...

Baltimore, MD
Native plants more beneficial for Maryland and Chesapeake Bay?
Why are native plant species more beneficial than non native plant species for the state of Maryland and the Chesapeake Bay?

Baltimore, MD
Transplant shock in Achillea millefolium
I had a clump of yarrow in my garden and was worried that it would become very aggressive to the other plants. I decided to transplant it into large clay pots to control it. Immediately after the tran...

Baltimore, MD
Location of Agalinis acuta, sandplain gerardia.
Where can the sandplain gerardia be found?