Abingdon, MD
Sources for plants from Abingdon MD
What stores or nursuries in Harford County sell already grown Coral honeysuckle, Purple passion flower, trumpet creeper, and crossvine?

Fallston, MD
Orientation of roots of Ranunculus
I need to know how to plant "Ranunculus". I don't know which way to put the rhizomes/bulbs in the ground. Do they go flat side down or strange long tubular things upward ?

Fallston, MD
Shriveling and dying of non-native impatiens
Several years now many of my impatiens after a month or so seem to shrivel up and eventually die. They are planted in a row and not all are affected. I am not noticing any slug evidence which I would...

Nottingham, MD
Suggestions for alternatives to invasive, non-native English ivy
Can English ivy be planted in a pot, kept oudoors, and expected to endure our Maryland winters?

nottingham, MD
Is red tip Photinia toxic to dogs?
Is the red tip bush toxic to dogs?

Harford, MD
Medicinal purposes of the common pepper
Hello. I am a student at North Harford High School in Harford County, Maryland. I am currently doing a project in environmental science which requires me to do an interview, or at least ask some que...

Towson, MD
Groundcover for a Sunny, Steep Slope in Maryland
I need a groundcover for a sunny dry steep slope in Towson, Maryland. The slope goes from the parking lot down to a deck area.

Towson, MD
Leafing out problems with oaks in Towson MD
3 native 5-year-old oaks kept old leaves until March and are not leafing by the end of May. The few leaves that have emerged are shriveled. WHAT'S WRONG?

Phoenix, MD
Weeds in Blue Rug juniper in Phoenix MD
The landscaper planted Blue Rug Junipers around the Helleri Holly and Yews in front of my house ten years ago. The Blue Rug has done great and looks really nice. My problem is that weeds grow up in ...

Delta, PA
Is crow's foot endangered from Delta PA
I, too, used crows foot in Christmas Wreaths. I have recently heard that is endangered and you could be fined picking it and using it. Wondering if this is a true statement. There is still lots in ...

Delta, PA
I have a very distinctive vine accompanying morning glory in invading my beds - it is Prickly! (on the vine, underside of leaves, leaf stems). The leaf is not arrowhead, but a triangle; I've not seen...

Fawn Grove, PA
Low plants to cover bank too steep to mow
I have a bank along the road that is too steep to mow. This bank faces east and only gets 2 - 4 hours per day of sunlight. I'd like to try ground cover to prevent erosion, however visibility is a p...

North East, MD
Non-blooming blue-eyed grass in Northeast Maryland
I purchased blue eyed grass(sisyrinchium angustifolium)It was in bloom when I planted it, but has never bloomed since. It looks healthy and gets full sun, but for at least 3 years or more, it has neve...

Baltimore, MD
Deciduous tree with tap root
I have a 13 foot space between two town houses and would like to plant a slender deciduous tree up to 30 feet in height with a tendency to tap root so as not to disturb the foundation of the houses. ...

Baltimore, MD
Smarty Plants on epiphyllums
I don't have a digital cameria, but I hope you can identify my plants easily by description. I believe they are called something similar to the word "epithelium". They look like a "mother-in-la...

Baltimore, MD
Non-native Littleleaf Boxwood and native alternatives for Baltimore
I am looking for a small hedge or shrub, that will look nice year round, and won't get too large. I live in Baltimore, MD. I have heard of Winter Gem Boxwood. Will this prove hardy in my area? H...

Baltimore, MD
Wildflowers for an April wedding in Baltimore
Dear Mr Smarty Pants, Thank you for your help. Our niece wants native wildflowers blooming at her wedding on April 17, 2010 which will be at a family home on the Eastern Shore of Maryland between Ba...

Baltimore, MD
Blue plants or flowers in Baltimore, MD
I have a taxi company in the city called Bluecab. The headquarters is in an industrial area and the soil is tough and well, industrial. There will be no watering or maintenance done. Looks like a car ...

Baltimore, MD
Simple flowers vs. compound flowers
Please, give the characteristics of a "simple flower" as distinct from a compound flower which has rays and "disk flowers". What type of flower is the flower of a chive,which seems to be composed...

Baltimore, MD
Evergreen Privacy Screen for Maryland
I am looking for an evergreen that will suffice to be planted as a privacy screen between my property and my neighbors. Looking to plant a row at the property line. The lot is shaded most of the d...

Baltimore, MD
Literature on native plants and wildlife from Baltimore
Can you tell me a good review of the literature on the relation between native plants and ecology; for example, a study might indicate how native plants support more birds or other wildlife.