snow hill, MD
Propagation of Emory Oak acorns
Dear Wildflower Experts, By any chance do you know how we could obtain some Emory Oak acorns to plant on our farm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland? I know itís not a given that the trees would grow...

Salisbury, MD
Groundcover for gravesite in Maryland
I know this is very unusual question but here I go. I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and I am looking for a low ground cover for my grandparents grave. The soil is very sandy and I am looking...

Ocean City, MD
Oxalis crassipes identification
I'm trying to identify a plant that has appeared in several containers on my balcony. The largest plant is about a foot tall, with triangular leaves, small white flowers with yellow centers, and has...

Millsboro, DE
Crows foot plant for Christmas wreaths from Millsboro DE
I am looking for a plant called crows foot to make wreaths for Christmas. Where do I find this plant.

Ocean View, DE
Perennial native wildflowers in Delaware
I'd like to plant some perennial wildflowers around a fresh water pond near the beach in southern Delaware. Do you have some suggestions for native species that will grow in full sun? Thank you...

Georgetown, DE
Removing faded flowers from plants in Georgetown, DE
I bought a chamase rose quartz that was in bloom. now the buds are dead, should i remove them or just leave them on the plant. they wont just fall off. and the tips of the plant has new growth.

Rehoboth Beach, DE
Survival of non-native Cape Plumbago in Delaware
I have a cape plumbago shrub growing in a large pot outdoors - but we are in Delaware - where it won't apparently survive the winter. How can I keep my plumbago safe over the winter?

Lewes, DE
Problems with non-native Miscanthus sinensis grass in Lewes DE
I have morning light ornamental grass, which was just three days ago. The ends of the grass are shriveling up and appear to be dying; why is this?

Cambridge, MD
Resources for wildlife garden in Maryland
I've recently bought a home in Cambridge in Dorchester County on Maryland's Eastern Shore. I want my small garden to have native plants that will sustain birds, butterflies and visiting wildlife. ...

Cambridge, MD
Plants to grow in shady area near a pecan tree in Maryland
I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I have planted only natives in my front lawn. My backyard, which sports a pecan tree, fir, fig tree, and others I can't identify is dirt, just dirt. I have...

Saint Marys, MD
Native grasses for hill in Saint Mary's County, Maryland
Is there a native grass or grasses I can mow on a hill that faces south and is too large to water in Saint Marys County, Maryland?

Reedville, VA
Deer resistant wildflowers for Virginia
Looking for deer-resistant native wild flowers for full-sun location in the Northern Neck of Virginia. We want to replace large area now grass lawn.

Oak Grove, VA
Native plant for container on deck in Oak Grove VA
What VA native plant can I grow in a container on my deck that will block the view from the neighbor's deck? I am thinking columnar. This is in full sun and gets hot winds off of a bay. The plant ...

White Stone, VA
Chesapeake Bay Erosion Control from White Stone VA
Native Wetland Plants for Chesapeake Bay Erosion Control -- I have a wooded lot (pine and hardwoods)leading to 4-5 ft. wide flat shoreline edged with riprap. What native wetland plants survive salt wa...

White Stone, VA
Plants that will do well in a water retention basin in White Stone Virginia
I am looking for plants to grow under pine trees in a water retention basin. The pine trees line the basin. When it rains it will hold water for about two to three days before evaporating. I have p...

Saluda, VA
How toxic are wild cherries for horses?
I purchased a beautiful piece of heaven in the rural suburbs. I have three horses and grow my own hay. Unfortunately, I have just learned the woods surrounding my field is lined with Black Walnut, Wil...

North, VA
Shade tree for horses in North Virginia
I need to plant a shade tree for my horses and am considering a fast growing tree called an Empress Tree(paulownia). It would be outside of their fenced area but close enough to provide shade for the...

Owings, MD
Where can I find Ilex verticillata in Maryland?
Do you have any suggestions where I might purchase a winterberry holly, ilex verticillata (with bright orange berries in the winter)? They are on our Maryland State highway on Route 3 (301) heading t...

Mechanicsville, MD
Digging wild buttercup from roadside in Mechanicsville MD
Mr. Smarty Plants, is it illegal to dig out wild buttercup in Maryland? I see them along the dirt road or just in the ditch. Since buttercup considered weed, I'm wondering what the law say about this...

Aquasco, MD
Planting wildflowers on company property from Aquasco MD
Our company wants to plant wildflowers on our property. How do I know how much seed, what type of seeds, how to care for, how to plant, basically everything? Finally, we hope to find use some deer-r...

Charlotte Hall, MD
Want to identify thorny vines growing in Charlotte Hall, MD
I have vines with thorns growing in my wood, vining around the trees and killing them. It grows and vines go up trees of any height all the way to the top. It has green pointy leaves. If it doesn't...