A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Washington Township, NJ
Low growing erosion control plants for lakeside in Washington Township NJ
I live on a small lake in Northern NJ and have installed beautiful Boulders along the water to help stop erosion. Now I want to add plants along the property but would like low growing, soil retentio...

Tuckerton, NJ
Worms on blackeyed susans and daisies in Tuckerton NJ
I have black eyed susans and white daisies planted together. Not sure if this makes a difference. Today I noticed that there are tiny worms on both the plants they are almost the size of silk worms. ...

Folsom, NJ
Yucca plant for horse joint problems
is the yucca plant the same as what the joint medication is made of to give to older horses for the joints, and if so, can a plant be nibbled on when it grows in the pasture?

Hamilton Twp, NJ
Old oak tree dropping leaves in Hazlet Township NJ
I am 84 yrs old and have a 50 year old pin? oak. No more acorns, but the leaves are falling in clumps and are still alive. Every day I fill a huge garden bag with them. I live on a fixed income and...

Manahawkin, NJ
How to remove plume from Yucca elephantipes in NJ?
In Manahawkin, NJ, how do we cut plume (2" diameter) off 10' Yucca elephantipes?

Southampton, NJ
Pruning smooth azalea in NJ
I have a Smooth Azalea growing in my woods. It was verified by the Master Gardeners of Burlington County New Jersey. It's 12 feet tall and lanky. Can it be trimmed in hopes of thickening up? If s...

Beach Haven, NJ
Color in non-native portulaca from Beach Haven NJ
I bought a portulaca in a hanging basket and divided it up and planted it in my garden. It is doing ok..but I have almost entirely orange flowers..maybe two reds. I was hoping for multi-colored..red...

Williamstown, NJ
Drought tolerant plants for NJ backyard
I am in the process of planning a drought tolerant, sun loving Back yard. I do have a dog, a swimming pool and lots of grandchildren. Do you have any suggestions for plants and shrubs? I live in South...

Voorhees, NJ
Buds disappearing from magnolia in New Jersey
I live in New Jersey.I planted my 5.gal Vulcan magnolia in December. It came with 4 big buds and 3 small buds.I planted in good location where it gets lots of sun. The tree is well settled and looked ...

Mount Holly, NJ
Transplanting crabapples in NJ
I purchased a mature Red Baron crabapple in march of this year from a reputable nursery here in southern NJ. The tree was in the ground when I first viewed it, and since it was march and hadn't bloom...

Mt Laurel, NJ
Small trees for NJ shore
Hello! What's a good native shrub or small tree to feature in my front yard in Brigantine, NJ, on the Jersey shore. Sunny site, dry, sandy soil. The yard is very small. I'm trying to design a l...

Cherry Hill, NJ
Is crape myrtle deer resistant
Is Crape Myrtle deer resistant?

New Egypt, NJ
Developing fields with native plants from New Egypt NJ
I have several acres of fields that I want to develop with native grasses and flowers. I would like to know the best time to mow the fields so that bushes and volunteer trees don't take over and that...

New Egypt, NJ
Invasive phragmites from New Egypt NJ
I have some wetland near a road. It has been taken over by phragmites. How is the best way to remove these grasses and add some diversity to this area. The area in question is approx. 100 by 30 feet.

New Egypt, NJ
Native Shrubs to Plant with Viburnum in New Jersey
Please provide me with a list of native shrubs, plants etc. for New Jersey that would work with my existing native viburnum.

Moorestown, NJ
Information on creating and maintaining a meadow
Would you please share information about creating and maintaining a meadow?

Moorestown, NJ
ID of plant from florist in Moorestown NJ
I recently purchased a cut stem from the local florist for an autumn flower arrangement. The leaves are very, very small and bamboo-like in looks. They are not oval and are 1/8 inches long. The bra...

Toms River, NJ
Propagate a trumpet vine from a cutting in Toms River NJ
Can you propagate a trumpet vine from a cutting?

Haddonfield, NJ
Beautyberries not poisonous to cats and dogs from Haddonfield NJ
Are beauty berry plants poisonous to cats/dogs? Would like to use branches w/berries and leaves as indoor decorations.

Glendora, NJ
Seeds native to New Jersey from Glendora NJ
My sister is getting married and would like to send out native wildflower seeds to the guests in her save the dates. We want these seeds to be NJ native seeds, but we are actually having some trouble ...

Willingboro, NJ
Problem with non-native peach tree in Willingboro NJ
I have a peach tree in my back yard. The tree was in the yard when I bought the house. I have lived at my address almost six years. This year the peach tree is dripping a thick jelly-like sap from ...