New City, NY
Suggestion for plants to replace grass in semi-shade in NY
I have an area that is in semi-shade but gets about 4-5 hours of sunlight in the summer. Instead of grass I would like to perhaps use wild flowers or even prairie type grasses. Any suggestions??

Ossining, NY
Locating sources for bracken fern in New York
I am looking for bracken fern plants to plant in my garden. Where can I find them?

Park Ridge, NJ
Plants for shade, poor soil in Park Ridge NJ
Hello! I live in far northeast New Jersey, by the New York state border. I am looking for plants for areas of my lawn that nothing currently grows in - due to shade and poor soil quality - very rocky,...

Tarrytown, NY
Student project on Hudson Valley, NY native plants and ecology
Mr. Smarty, Hi I am starting a project with a school group 4th-6th grade, that has a greenhouse. The goal is to teach children about native plants & ecology of the Hudson valley region in NY. We will ...

TARRYTOWN, NY
Growing Lupinus perennis in sandy soil.
I want to grow Lupinus perennis for the Karner butterfly. I know it won't grow in clay (my soil is wet clay). Can I plant the plant in a big (20" diameter x 17" tall) rubber pot, and fill the pot w...

Tarrytown, NY
Difficult slope in Tarrytown NY
I hope you can help. Is there a way to plant some native shrubs and plants on a steep slope that is filled in some areas with rock without having to tier the slope? The section is approximately 50' w...

Tarrytown, NY
Need a vine to cover a chainlink fence in the shade in Tarrytown, NY.
Any advice for a vine to cover a chain link fence in shade

Sparkill, NY
Native fescues and sedges for turf in New York
Hello, Came across your contact info while googling and hoped you could help answer a question or direct me to another resource that can. I am looking to redo my entire landscaping with native NY ...

Cortlandt Manor, NY
Trees to replace ones lost in Westchester County, NY
We lost a large number of trees in the forest adjacent to our home, and I plan to replant them. What species do you recommend to plant the area with natives and to keep it looking "natural."

Cortlandt Manor, NY
Native plants suitable for rock garden in New York
I'd like to start a rock garden. The area is very rocky, the soil is shallow and it's partially shaded. I'd like mostly perennials that flower from spring to fall. I hope to make some purchases fr...

Cortlandt Manor, NY
Native alternatives for non-native, invasive bamboo in New York
I hope you can help me. This is not about wildflowers. I'm interested in planting bamboo as a screen (25'+). I know all the pros/cons and would need to have a nursery to put in barrier. I need some...

River Vale, NJ
Need suggestions for privacy hedge in Northern NJ.
Hi, I'm looking for advice on what plant would make an excellent privacy hedge in Northern NJ (Bergen County). Ideally something low maintenance, about 5 feet tall, would act as a fence. Thanks...

River Vale, NJ
What is a groundnut? from River Vale NJ
I just read the book "Mayflower" which talks about the Massachusetts natives and, subsequently, the Pilgrims eating groundnuts; mentions the groundnuts going to seed in early summer. What are ...

Irvington , NY
New York State Shrubs to Screen Home from Traffic
I am looking for a native New York bush/small tree which I can use along a road to screen my home from year-round car traffic. The area is not terribly wide and the soil is OK. I am willing to prune a...

Saddle River, NJ
Deer are devastating understory in our woods. We have a highly resistant shrub purchased years ago at the state arboretum plant sale. It is about 5-6' tall, somewhat wider than that, many suckers/o...

Westchester County, NY
Native Annual Plant Substitute for Impatiens
What can be used as an annual flowering plant to substitute for the diseased impatiens? Is Vinca one you would suggest?

Pleasantville, NY
Plants for elementary school grow lab in New York
What can we grow in a grow lab in our elementary school library from seed now that will bloom by June or what interesting looking established plants can we put in this grow lab that will have meaning ...

Pleasantville, NY
Native perennial roof garden plants for New York
I am looking for perennial roof gardens plants, sedum, hen and chickens, native plants. I am in zone six. They will have three inches of perilite, gravel, and compost. Can you give me a good local so...

Hillsdale, NJ
Native container plants from Hillsdale NJ
Looking for suggestions for the easiest natives to grow in containers.

Thornwood, NY
Overwintering Cardinal Flower in Thornwood NY
I have 6 Cardinal Flower plants in planters. They have mulch on top to keep them moist. Can they stay in the planters all winter? Do I cut the stalks before winter comes or leave as is?

Hastings on Hudson, NY
Native plants for condo apartments in New York
Hello, and thank you for this wonderful source of help! We live in Hastings on Hudson, NY in a brick building of 7 condo apartments. Our corner unit has one narrow flower bed out front on the stre...