Westchester, NY
Winterberry holly not fruiting
Regarding Ilex verticillata, which I have planted in a partial sun, somewhere between all dry and all wet location, i don't see any red berries, and it's mid-october. We are in the 'burbs of just ...

Mount Vernon, NY
Care of non-native house plant
Please let me know how to keep a dieffenbachia plant healthy and growing. I notice some leaves turn yellow. I water them once a week and keep it on the windowsill with some sunlight. Should I be do...

New Rochelle, NY
Native plants for an outdoor wedding in New York
I am planning an outdoor wedding in New Rochelle, NY in May. We would like to use native plants. Can you suggests some that we can use in the bouquets and as potted plants? Thanks

New Rochelle, NY
Transplanting native, protected Ostrich fern in New York
Please give advice about how to transplant Matteuccia struthiopteris. What is the best time of year to do this?

Bronxville, NY
Pollinator for Juniperus virginiana "Grey Owl"
I would like to buy Juniperus virginiana 'Grey Owl' as a source of berries for birds. 'Grey Owl' is a female clone, so it obviously must need a male pollinator. What J. virginiana male pollinato...

Bronxville, NY
Replacement of barberry hedge with native, bird-friendly plants
I am looking to replace an existing barberry hedge with a deciduous hedge, using a plant that is native to the northeast. I am in zone 6. The site is sun/part sun with decent drainage. The mature si...

yonkers, NY
Indoor pot plants
I just moved into a studio apt. where a lot of heat is provided. Do you have a listing of house plants suitable for warm apartments? I have four windows, all with indirect sunlight.

Great Neck , NY
Overwintering a Juncus effusus in Great Neck, NY
Can I over winter a juncus effusus spiralis indoors or must it be kept outdoors? Whether indoors or outdoors, what is the proper way to keep it alive during the winter months?

Great Neck , NY
Wintering over of non-native Myriophyllum brasiliensis
I have a Myriophyllum brasiliensis in my outdoor fountain which I drain in the cold weather. How can I keep the plant alive over the winter? Thank you.

Larchmont, NY
Shade tolerant plants for privacy from Larchmont NY
Love your site! We have a 4'x4'x50' stone wall, full sun, with a planting bed 30"H by 24"D. We're looking for privacy, so a hedge with pruning is needed. We have looked at Ilex Crenata (8'),...

Long Island, NY
Yellowing leaves on non-native Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
I purchased a chinese hibiscus hiros small tree and after 1 month the leaves keep turning yellow. What's wrong? It's in a large pot and never outside below 60 degrees. Thanks.

Long Island City, NY
ground covers for shady areas in New York City
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants: What would be the best ground covers for big shady areas in New York City instead of lawns?

Queens, NY
New York City Native Perennials for a Long Growing Season
Which native New York City perennials would be best for the longest growing season?

Queens, NY
Propagation information from Queens NY
Hello. I would appreciate information on when to plant the following plants. I found on the USDA website that all these plants could withstand the cold. ALthough they can withstand harsh weather, ...

NYC, NY
Need help with yucca palm in New York City, NY.
I have had my yucca palm plant for almost 10 years. The bark has started to peel off although leaves seem fine. The second smaller separate yucca plant has half its bark and trunk gone. I can't see a...

NYC, NY
Container plants for terrace in New York City
What flowering plants would you recommend that will grow well on a 16th floor terrace ,with all day sun in NYC?

Wapperger Falls , NY
Propagation of myrtle in Wapperger Falls, NY
How do you propagate myrtle?

New York City, NY
Container gardening for pool in southern California
I have large planters around pool would like to know what plants to use that will not grow to high or to big and will not have large roots home located in camarillo ca.

New York City, NY
Most invasive, noxious plant in U.S. from New York City.
I was wondering, what is the most invasive/ noxious plant in the U.S? Thanks in advance.

New York City, NY
Liquid glucose as substitute for sunlight from New York City
I am curious to find out whether liquid glucose can be poured as water for mung bean plants as substitute for no sunlight. Is the possible? Will a specific amount of glucose need to be used? Can liqui...

NYC, NY
Can I Grow Beautyberry
Will try to be brief. Beautyberry sprouted leaves in vase of branches in water. It's NYC beginning of winter. Can I plant it outside? If not will it grow in a pot inside? Thanks. Happy New Ye...