Wendell, MA
Identifying a plant similar to sarsaparilla
I am trying to identify a plant that looks very similar to sasparilla, but has a ring of blue berries at the end of a long stalk, and the plant itself is spreading, not an isolated herb like sasparill...

Athol, MA
Keeping bonsai plants alive in Athol MA
For the past 12 years I have raised bonsai plants in AL and FL, but recently moved back to central MA. My collections consists of Japanese maples, ginkos, bald cypress and ficus benjamina. I have a ...

Greenfield, MA
What to Plant Now feature?
Would y'all at all consider having a "What To Plant Now" section" and/or a "What's Blooming Now" one. You are very generous with your information, but if I wanted to "go native", it seems tha...

Greenfield, MA
I have a plant growing in my yard that I would like to know what it is. It has two very different leaf types on the same plant. One set of leaves is thick and oval in shape, the others look very much ...

Amherst, MA
Flower color in shooting stars (Dodecatheon meadia)
Shooting Stars (Dodecatheon meadia) come in the colors white, lavender and purple in the eastern U.S. Is this just genetic variability or does soil chemistry affect the flower color?

amherst, MA
Drought-resistant ground cover for Massachusetts
Mr Smarty Plants I am looking for drought resistant,low maintenance ground cover for a LEED certified project in Florence MA. Any suggestions?

Templeton, MA
We found this plant or something or other in our yard, in the area we found it usually stays wet and it was behind a old tree that was done. It has three big green leaves with a white stem that kind ...

Belchertown, MA
Trumpet creeper with ants in Belchertown MA
My Campsis Vine is having one of the maximum blossom years it gets after a good pruning. This year, I have black carpenter ants on the blossoms and the flowers are rotting from the edges down on some...

Winchendon, MA
Non-native, invasive Datura sprouting from compost
Hi, I have a plant growing out of some compost we purchased this spring and no one can tell me what it is. It's about 4 ft. tall, the stem is maroon like rhubarb and it produces 4-5 in. tubular lig...

Florence, MA
Allelopathy in Sassafras albidum
Sassafras albidum description says "Sassafras is allelopathic and can discourage the growth of certain other plants within its root zone." My question is: WHICH plants are susce...

Hubbardston, MA
Survivability of Texas wildflower seeds in Zone 5A or 5B
What are the recommended hardiness zones for Texas wildflowers? Could these seeds survive in a 5A and 5B climate? If so, when would be the correct time to plant seeds for zone 5A/5B?

Swanzey, NH
Controlling invasives and using natives in New Hampshire
What ideas would you have for marrying the subjects of native plants and invasives? This summer I volunteered to work with our town planner and recycling director on a new initiative called SNIP-IT!: ...

Swanzey, NH
Importance of native plants for wildlife.
I just read Donald Tellamy's new book,Bringing Nature Home. He documents how native plants provide more nourishment for wildlife than introduced plants. The definition of native plants that I use is ...

Rindge, NH
Coltsfoot invasive in Rindge NH
I live in Rindge NH. My question is how do I stop colts foot from taking over my land? It is getting out of hand.

Rindge, NH
Evergreen shrubs for Rindge, NH
We are building a new house and I want to get shrubs/bushes that stay green all year long (ie:hollyberry)to put in front and around our house. Which of these would go closest to the house? I'd like t...

Rindge, NH
Shrubs for New Hampshire
Will be landscaping next Spring: Do you think using 'Ilex Crenata'-Japanese Holly together with variegated Euonymus (species: fortunei) as shrub hedges in front of our house is a good combo? Do they...

Westminster, MA
Orange eggs on milkweed plants
Hello I have milk weed in my flower garden. Every year I find small orange 'eggs' on the leaves and stems of the plant. I don't think these are the monarch eggs, but not sure if they are other...

Brookfield, MA
slope stabilization in Massachusetts
My family and I recently put in a 120 x 100 horseback riding ring. It had to be built up in the back and, as a result, there is a 10 foot slope which could use stabilization. What plants native to Mas...

E Dummerston, VT
Defenses against imported red leaf beetles on lilies
I've recently discovered small red beetles of some kind on my lilies, which they are happily devouring. I've been picking them off with my fingers and squashing them, but I'd like a better alterna...

Fitchburg, MA
Native plants for gravesite in North Central Massachusetts
I live in North Central Mass. Would like to plant something on my parents gravesite that would not be invasive or require a lot of care. Any suggestions? I just took 2 shrubs out that had become way...

Fitchburg, MA
Dutchman's pipe vine dying in Fitchburg ME
I have 2 dutchmans pipe vines they have been growing for over 20 years. Now all of a sudden the foliage is wilting and dying. The other one is completely fine. What would cause this?