Charlton, MA
Care for non-native 'Glacier Blues' from Charlton MA
Do you have to prune or cut down Glacier Blues in the garden? My plants look brown and wilted.

Brookfield, MA
slope stabilization in Massachusetts
My family and I recently put in a 120 x 100 horseback riding ring. It had to be built up in the back and, as a result, there is a 10 foot slope which could use stabilization. What plants native to Mas...

Millbury, MA
Deer-resistant plants for South Carolina
I have purchased a home in SC in an area that is overun with deer. What flowering plants for that area do deer not eat.

Worcester, MA
USDA Plant Hardiness Zone of Worcester, Massachusetts
What zone is Worcester, Massachusetts?

Worcester, MA
Problems with recently planted trumpet vine from Worcester MA
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I have a question about my recently planted Trumpet Vines. First of all, I live in Massachusetts, zone 6. The soil is perfect for the two vines, which I bought from a local nur...

Worcester, MA
Commercial source of Malus x arnoldiana in Massachusetts
Looking for a commercial source for Malus x arnoldiana, a Massachusetts native apple/crabapple. I work for a Massachusetts conservation land trust with an interest in wildlife habitat and mast and nat...

Worcester, MA
Souce for Houstonia caerulea in Massachusetts
I am looking for bluet (Houstonia caerulea or H. serpyllifolia). I can't find them anywhere. The two sites listed under possible distributors under H. caerulea have not gotten back to me. I read that...

Woodstock, CT
Smarty Plants on staghorn sumac
I currently have staghorn sumac in my yard located in Woodstock, Connecticut. it appears to be of the Rhus typhina species. i am removing these from my yard using a chainsaw and creating a pile of ...

Grafton, MA
Strange growth on oak tree
i have a very strange round segmented growth on a tree in my yard. i think the tree is a chinkapin oak and the growth is a reddish color. it looks like a ball with suction cups on it. it is very st...

Shrewsbury, MA
Landscape buffer in Bluffton SC
I have to install an irrigated landscape buffer along the outside of a 6'high x 42'long privacy fence about 8' from a public sidewalk in Bluffton, SC. The property owners association requires 4' t...

Ashford, CT
Windthrow Resistant Trees for Northeast Connecticut
We live in northeast CT, and prefer to plant native trees. Many people here do not want trees around their homes, despite the benefits of shade and shelter they provide, because they are afraid of win...

Chepachet, RI
Native, deer-resistant evergreen trees for Rhode Island
What deer proof evergreens can I plant in RI that may make nice xmas trees in a few years?

Foster, RI
Plant ID from Foster RI
I have a weed flowering plant in bloom in a moist semi-shaded area. I would like to send a photo but I do not know how to upload.

Blackstone, MA
Zucchini blooms but no fruit
My zuchinni has lots of flowers, but they seem to fall and I am getting no fruit.. WHY

Hubbardston, MA
Survivability of Texas wildflower seeds in Zone 5A or 5B
What are the recommended hardiness zones for Texas wildflowers? Could these seeds survive in a 5A and 5B climate? If so, when would be the correct time to plant seeds for zone 5A/5B?

Brooklyn, CT
Non-blooming yuccas in Brooklyn CT
I have outdoor yucca plants that don't flower - - in full sun. Why?

Belchertown, MA
Trumpet creeper with ants in Belchertown MA
My Campsis Vine is having one of the maximum blossom years it gets after a good pruning. This year, I have black carpenter ants on the blossoms and the flowers are rotting from the edges down on some...

Clinton, MA
Comptonia peregrina tea as topical treatment for poison ivy
I have been told that Sweet Fern stewed into a tea is a great topical treatment for poision ivy. Is this true?

Marlborough, MA
Chile pequin not ripening to red from Marlborough MA
I have a healthy Chile Pequin in Marlborough, MA, flowering and fruiting profusely. But, the fruit are not ripening to red, as did their parent plants in Florida. Fruit go from green to deep purple ...

Marlborough, MA
What eats American holly bushes in winter?
I live in Marlborough, MA and I was shoveling snow on January 19th and noticed how beautiful my Holly bush was covered in red berries against the new fallen snow. My husband said to me this morning (...

Medway, MA
Do all tuliptrees (Liriodendron tulipifera) flower?
Do all tulip trees flower? We planted a baby one about 5 years ago and its grown considerably however it has never flowered. Is that normal? Thank you!