Kailua, HI
Loss of blooms in potted plants in Hawaii
My lanai is in strong afternoon sun and no matter what "full sun" plants I try to grow they quickly stop blooming. Plumeria, Hibiscus, Echinacea, even Bougainvillea...they continue to grow but lose...

Honolulu, HI
Do Salvia coccinea and Salvia occidentalis occur in Hawaii
Aloha, Would you please happen to know if the salvia occidentalis and the salvia coccinea are growing in a wild state in Hawaii, the quantity (small or large areas? What are the weather conditions ...

Honolulu, HI
Bugs on non-native Pachystachys lutea in Hawaii
My golden shrimp/lollipop plant has aphid like bugs. They are darker and firmer than aphids but clump like them. They are consuming it. What are they and how do I get rid of them?

Honolulu, HI
Identification of vine with white flower and \
I have a vine intruding from my neighbors yard that has small white blooms on them (similar to morning glories) and on the stem of the flower below the bloom, a "tiny watermelon" is growing..... It ...

Honolulu, HI
State flower of Hawaii
What color is the state flower of Hawaii?

Pearl City, HI
Bermuda grass and St. Augustine for lawn in Hawaii
Is bermuda grass and st.augustine grass a good mixture for my backyard lawn?

Kapolei, HI
Invasive iceplant in Hawaii
Last time I checked Hawaii was in North America. Invasive or not, iceplant continues to be a much used ground cover etc for golf courses, sides of the freeway and many many City and County projects pr...

Kapolei, HI
Care for iceplant in Hawaii
Good morning Mr. Smarty Plants( I love the name) I live in Hawaii and have iceplant on the hill behind my house. Its established pretty well.I weed it often. How much water do I need and how can I get...

Kahului, HI
Invasive introduced sandburs in Maui, Hawaii
I live in Maui, Hawaii & I have a serious problem with Cenchrus spinifex and/or Coastal sandbur grass (weed!) it is everywhere, in my flower beds, in my gravel yardscape. Every time I pull it out it d...

Kihei, HI
Plants not native to North America in Hawaii
Do not know if you have any experience for Hawaii but here it goes. I live on Maui and have some coco palms, a line of 12, two of them right next to each other (15-20 ft). They are a decent shade of ...

Pukalani, HI
Hedge plant for Maui.
Question: I live in Pukalani, Maui, Hawaii and would like to put a "living fence" around my yard for some privacy. Ideally, I want something that is going to grow fast and about 8+ feet tall for a h...

Lihue, HI
Non-native wedelia and dayflower in Lihue HI
I have wedelia as ground covering, day flower or commelinaceae takes over. What can I use or spray to rid myself of the day flower problem?

Koloa, HI
Tahitian gardenias (Gardenia taitensis) salt and wind resistance in Hawaii
Are Tahitian Gardenias salt tolerant? We live on a rocky coastline in Hawaii and we get a lot of salt spray.

Waikoloa, HI
Plants that donkeys won't eat
What plants/trees do donkeys NOT like? I live in Hawaii on the Big Island and they visit once a week in my yard. I like them but would prefer that they stay just outside. Unfortunately they like my...

Hilo, HI
Non-native Concord grapes in Hilo, Hawaii
Hi, I live in a area that does not freeze over winter, and humidity is quite high. Do you think that Concord grapes will fruit?

Fort Bragg, CA
Propagation of Castilleja latifolia in Fort Bragg CA
What is the propagation method for Castilleja latifolia ssp. mendocinensis? Do I need to grow Castilleja latifolia ssp. mendocinensis seed with native associate plants in the propagation greenhouse be...

Bodega Bay, CA
Identity of plant that smells like dill in California
Whenever I drive over the Sonoma County, CA coastal range and to the beach (usually Bodega) as you get closer to the ocean the air is scented not just with the wonderful smell of the sea, but also of ...

Redway, CA
Damage to plants after sudden freeze in Redway CA
I live on the North Coast of California near "The Avenue of the Giants" and Redwoods State Park along the Eel River. We recently have had below freezing weather, constant rain and even snow! I have...

Guerneville, CA
Evergreen drought-tolerant screening plant for shade
I am renting my place and looking for a screening, green all year, native plant or shrub. I plan to grow it in large planters along my street and to create privacy in my back yard. It has to be a non...

Eureka, CA
Is non-native cotoneaster poisonous to goats from Eureka CA
I have heard that cotoneaster is poisonous to goats and other animals. We are trying to get rid of it in our yard, but I was hoping we could use goats to eat it back. What are our options in removin...

Willits, CA
Plantings for sides of retention pond in Willits CA
I am looking for recommendations for ground cover for the outside of embankments which impound wastewater. This is to improve the aesthetics and deter weeds. The slopes are 1V:2H, so if we can avoid...