A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Eureka, CA
Is non-native cotoneaster poisonous to goats from Eureka CA
I have heard that cotoneaster is poisonous to goats and other animals. We are trying to get rid of it in our yard, but I was hoping we could use goats to eat it back. What are our options in removin...

Kneeland, CA
Evergreen for privacy screen in Northern California
Hello, My neighbor just logged their property and we need a very quick growing evergreen shrub/tree (for privacy of ugly cabin) that grows to at least 10' -15' tall. We live in northern Cal. about ...

Redway, CA
Damage to plants after sudden freeze in Redway CA
I live on the North Coast of California near "The Avenue of the Giants" and Redwoods State Park along the Eel River. We recently have had below freezing weather, constant rain and even snow! I have...

Brookings, OR
Flowering plant for hillside in Brookings OR
We live on the Chetco river and the bank in front of the house is on a hill. What would be a flowering plant that would maintain the integrity of the hill?

Redding, CA
Are the leaves of the Fruitless Palm Tree poisonous in Redding California?
Are Fruitless Palm Tree leaves poisonous? I was poked in the hand with a leaf of one of the branches. It was a dead leaf/Branch? Please Help!

Redding, CA
Why do some flowers open during the day and close at night?
My son is doing a science fair project on the California Poppies. We are trying to find the definitive answer on why the flowers open during the day and close at night.

Redding, CA
Damaged non-native weeping willow in California
I have a weeping willow that has no leaves and branches seems to have turned brittle. I don't see any bugs or burrows on the tree. The type of willow I have is very common in this area, although I'm...

Redding, CA
Plant identification for Redding, CA
I have a volunteer plant that has dull green leaf with tiny white flowers that turn into a small black berry the size of a raisin. Can you identify it? I live in Redding, Ca. They are popping up in th...

Redding, CA
Evergreen replacement for bamboo in Redding CA
We have just removed bamboo from our backyard and need to replace it with a plant that will give us the same type of privacy. What plant would you suggest to plant along a fence line that will surviv...

Redding, CA
Trees non-toxic for horses in California
I would like to plant next to my pasture. Please send a good variety of nontoxic (for horses) plants for shade. I live in Redding Cal.

Redding, CA
Problems with maple tree in Redding CA
I have a 2 yr. old October Glory tree that is looking bad. It leafed out this spring, but not as much as the others. In total I have 9 red maples along a fence row about 15 feet apart. The trees on ei...

Redding, CA
Identification of small dome-shaped furry plant, smells like bubblegum
Hi, I always see this plant when I'm on the river trail in Redding CA. and I can't find it anywhere on the internet. The plant is very small, I think it is some type of weeds that grow. It's a ligh...

Fort Bragg, CA
Propagation of Castilleja latifolia in Fort Bragg CA
What is the propagation method for Castilleja latifolia ssp. mendocinensis? Do I need to grow Castilleja latifolia ssp. mendocinensis seed with native associate plants in the propagation greenhouse be...

Palo Cedro, CA
Fungus on trunk of non-native weeping willow in California
I live in Palo Cedro, CA and have a weeping willow tree with with what appears to be be some type of fungus growing all over the trunk of the tree. It is a brown color and can be broken off in big ch...

Willits, CA
Plantings for sides of retention pond in Willits CA
I am looking for recommendations for ground cover for the outside of embankments which impound wastewater. This is to improve the aesthetics and deter weeds. The slopes are 1V:2H, so if we can avoid...

Williams, OR
Deer-resistant plants for Williams, OR
I live in Williams, Oregon. I would like a listing of deer resistant, drought tolerant,evergreen, fast growing, native plants that can be used as a privacy screen on property perimeter.

GrantsPass, OR
Plant cloning or genetic engineering
Can you take one genome (strain) and take a clean cut and put onto another plant another strain?

Corning, CA
Specifications for a property in Corning CA
Drought resistant, deer resistant, low growing (ground cover), and shade tolerant request: I am looking for a variety of species that not only fit the above preferences, but also a few other things. ...

Grants Pass, OR
Will Cercis (Redbud) grow in Oregon?
We live in Grants Pass, Oregon could Cercis grow here?

Grants Pass, OR
Are wild sweet peas edible?
Are wild sweet peas edible? Thanks.

Grants Pass, OR
Memorial Tree Safe for Horses in Oregon
Hi! I just lost my 33 year old beloved mare, Glory! She was my childhood horse and we have had her basically her whole life. We are looking for a special tree out in the pasture for her! She is bu...