En EspaÑol

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Beverly Hills, CA
Smoketree not flowering in Beverly Hills CA
Why is my Smoke tree not flowering? It is big and the leaves are beautiful but no blooms.

Studio City, CA
Eliminating and replacing Tradescantia species
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, I need advice. I recently figured out my 10 month old dog is highly allergic to Tradescantia sp, commonly known as the Spiderworts, and "Wandering Jew" which covers about h...

Studio City,, CA
Plants for steep slope in California
Where do I find out about the specific root structure of various California native plants? Are there shrubs that have tap roots & hence are good for steep slopes? The genus of any such plants that y...

Toluca Lake, CA
Problems with non-native Carrotwood tree in Toluca Lake CA
My Carrotwood tree leaves are turning yellow and curling down, Why? Also due to a bad trim, the outer limbs are dying. Can you tell me what is wrong? It is an old tree and I would like to save it!

Sherman Oaks, CA
Evergreen tree for planter in Sherman Oaks CA
We have a large cinder block planter, 6ftx6ftx6ft,in the back of our building and would love to find a good evergreen accent tree (but not pine like). Planter is near a building so preferable it shoul...

Santa Monica, CA
Wholesale dry yucca trunks and branches from California
Where can I buy wholesale dry yucca trunks and branches? I have spent the last hour looking for them and can only find nurseries and decorative branches.

Santa Monica, CA
Tecoma stans problems in Santa Monica CA
I just purchased a mature 6ft tall potted Tecoma Stance Vine (Honeysuckle), It is placed in an area where it gets at least 3 to 4 hours morning/early afternoon sun and then a shaded sun for the rest o...

Venice, CA
Groundcover for Southern California near the beach
I'm in Southern California near the beach (3 miles away). I am looking for a front lawn ground cover that can stand many hours of daily direct sunlight, but will also get cool breezes off the ocean a...

Burbank, CA
Source of non-native Cutweed from Burbank CA
Where to find Cutweed in southern California? If not, which nursery sell cutweed? or any cutweed powder to buy?

Burbank, CA
Native trees for shade in Burbank, CA
I need a few ideas for a non-deciduous (or nearly non-deciduous)tree that grows fast and will provide shade. Shade need not be total. Chinese Elms come to mind but I'm not sure of the growth rate. ...

Burbank, CA
Native vegetation of Burbank, CA
What is the native vegetation of Burbank, CA?

Pacific Plsds, CA
Are agaves really native from Pacific Palisades CA
I just replied re agave issues, and mistakenly asked the source of your information. I see that you clearly noted it, apologies. I would note, however, that the Riverside area is very much a hot,...

Pacific Plsds, CA
Runaway Agave Americana from Pacific Palisades CA
We live near open space on Santa Monica Mountain State Park. Our Association planted non-native, invasive Agave Americanas all over the adjacent slopes, and we are trying to get the exploding pups and...

Los Angeles, CA
Need to Landscape a Small Yard in Southern California
We live in Southern California, and have a small yard – approx. 40’ x 20.’ We want to remove the grass, which we are currently not irrigating, and replace with low maintenance, drought-tolerant plant...

Los Angeles, CA
Invasive definition kalanchoe pinnata
The plant Kalanchoe pinnata is listed as being invasive. What does that mean? Is it a weed or does it interefere with metropolitan plumbing? (root system)

Los Angeles, CA
Natural location of Ceanothus impressus in California
Where is Ceanothus impressus 'victoria' native? I need as specific as you can. Thanks much.

Los Angeles, CA
Plants to grow in high zinc, lead and copper soil in Los Angeles
We live on the Westside of Los Angeles and have just been given the bad news that our beds are high in zinc (86.39), lead (45.98) and copper(12.95). Can you recommend some plants that may grow in thes...

Los Angeles, CA
Vine for privacy on a deck in Southern California
I am looking for a climbing vine/plant that is non-flowering and can be grown year round in Southern California. We are looking to help create a private area along a deck for my grandmother because h...

Los Angeles, CA
Are century plants (Agave spp.) poisonous?
About 2 weeks ago, I was poked in the arm by a Century Plant, which caused a pretty big bruise to form. I didn't think much of it at first, but now, 2 weeks later, the bruise hasn't healed at all. S...

Los Angeles, CA
Eugenia Substitutes for Southern California
Is there a eugenia bush (preferable one that can grow tall) without berries. We like this plant but the berries create a problem. We live in Los Angeles, CA. Thank you.

Los Angeles, CA
Are palm leaves poisonous?
Are palm tree leaves poisionous? Because my dad was doing yard work and was stuck by a palm tree leaf in his calf. His calf has swollen and in he thinks it broke off in his calf.