A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Corona, CA
Low maintenance ground cover for pool area in Corona CA
Hi, I have this slope in my backyard that goes up to the neighbors yard. I'm looking for a low maintenance ground cover type plant that will stop erosion and won't cause a mess for my pool which is...

Corona, CA
Transplanting Indian Paintbrush in Corona CA
I have a very mature Indian Paintbrush Plant that was becoming too large for the area I had originally planted it in, so I transplanted it to an area much more suited for its size. I reviewed the que...

Norco, CA
Plants resistant to Verticillium wilt in Norco CA
I'm looking for small trees, flowering shrubs & vines that are resistant to verticillium wilt. Fragrance would be a plus. Thank you so much!

Norco, CA
Looking for plants for a privacy hedge, besides Ficus nitida, in Norco CA.
I am looking to plant a hedge for privacy along my property line. We have horses so I need to make sure that what I plant is not toxic. Would Ficus nitida 'Little Gem' be a good choice? I...

Arcilla, CA
What gives the Creosote bush its characteristic smell?
Good evening, Mr. Smarty Plants, There is a question which I would please like to ask regarding a plant called "Creosote Bush" (Larrea tridentata)- does it actually smell like the creosote...

Riverside, CA
Is the non-native California pepper tree (Schinus molle) toxic for horses?
Is it safe and a good idea to put a horse corral around an established California pepper tree? Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants

Riverside, CA
When to plant wildflowers in California
When is the best time to plant wildflowers in California?

Chino, CA
Project on natives in Connecticut from Chino CA
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, My 10 yr. old daughter is doing a project on Ct., and would like to know what the most common plants, trees and flowers are found in this state. A few of each would be a great ...

Anaheim Hills, CA
Flowering vine for trellis behind fountain in Anaheim Hills CA
We are looking for a flowering vine to plant on a trellis surrounding a water fountain. The fountain splashes leaving the soil constantly wet. We have tried numerous vines, but they all die due to t...

Yorba Linda, CA
Replacement for grass under non-native weeping willow from Yorba Linda CA
What would be a good replacement for the grass currently growing under a weeping willow? Something requiring low maintenance, the problem is with mowing over and around the roots.

Trabuco Canyon, CA
Fast-growing tree for horse arena in Southern California
I live in Trabuco Canyon, CA, and we just lost an old Sycamore in our horse arena. I would like to replace it with some thing that is fast growing, and will be able to withstand life around horses, o...

Villa Park, CA
Plant identification--vine with spiny pods in California
I came across a vine while hiking in Orange County, CA. It didn't have flowers on it but has 3 or 4 inch spiny pods. What is it? The vine itself looks similar to a Morning Glory vine.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Plant to repel snakes
name of a plant or plants that repell snakes.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Is carrotwood poisonous to Boston Terrier in Rancho Cucamonga CA?
My Boston Terrier always goes to our carrotwood tree and licks the base. He gets so excited that he drools all over the place? Why does this tree cause this reaction in our dog? Is it poisonous to ...

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Drought resistant ground cover for Rancho Cucamonga CA
I live in Southern California. Could you please recommend a low maintenance, drought resistant ground cover that does not attract rodents to create as their home (more than one suggestion would be GR...

Diamond Bar, CA
Flowering shrub for part shade in Southern California
What shrubs would be able to flourish in morning shade but deal with afternoon sun and 90 plus degrees in the summer months in Southern California? I would like a shrub that is about 5 ft. tall and 3 ...

Placentia, CA
Source of seeds for Schisandra glabra (bay starvine)
Hi, I am looking for an herbal plant, Schisandra. It bears red berries. Please let me know where I can find/ buy this plant. Thanks.

Alta Loma, CA
Trellis plant for Southern California
What is the best selection for a trellis plant? I live in Southern CA (zip 91701), and the area is on the southern part of our home with little or no shade. Thanks!

Lake Forest, CA
Small to medium drought-tolerant trees for Southern California
I am looking for drought tolerant trees to line one side of our 70 foot driveway. We live in Southern California. Currently, we have queen palms, but I would like something more native or drought to...

Orange, CA
Plant identification of a potted vine in California
Hi, we have a tropical vine growing in a pot on our patio that my wife bought at the county fair. We've had it for a couple of years but I just noticed it now has a sort of pear like fruit on it. It ...

Orange, CA
Bioswale in Orange CA
Mr. Smarty Plants, I'm looking for plants for a bio-swale in Southern California. Do you have any suggestions for plants that do well in water but can also can handle long dry summers?