A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Yucaipa, CA
Preventing seed production in non-native chinaberry in Yucaipa CA
You were just asked about "keeping almonds from producing" I actually found your site to ask how to keep a chinaberry tree from producing its berries. I am considering renting a commercial property ...

Moreno Valley , CA
Groundcovers for Moreno Valley, CA
Hi, I live in Moreno Valley, CA I have a huge flower bed area surrounding our grass I am looking for the best ground cover that will have minimal up keep.

Fawnskin, CA
Perennials for mountain cabin in Southern California
We have a mountain cabin at 7,000ft elevation in S. California. Please recommend native perennials. Thanks.

Riverside, CA
Is the non-native California pepper tree (Schinus molle) toxic for horses?
Is it safe and a good idea to put a horse corral around an established California pepper tree? Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants

Riverside, CA
When to plant wildflowers in California
When is the best time to plant wildflowers in California?

Norco, CA
Looking for plants for a privacy hedge, besides Ficus nitida, in Norco CA.
I am looking to plant a hedge for privacy along my property line. We have horses so I need to make sure that what I plant is not toxic. Would Ficus nitida 'Little Gem' be a good choice? I...

Norco, CA
Plants resistant to Verticillium wilt in Norco CA
I'm looking for small trees, flowering shrubs & vines that are resistant to verticillium wilt. Fragrance would be a plus. Thank you so much!

Arcilla, CA
What gives the Creosote bush its characteristic smell?
Good evening, Mr. Smarty Plants, There is a question which I would please like to ask regarding a plant called "Creosote Bush" (Larrea tridentata)- does it actually smell like the creosote...

Corona, CA
Transplanting Indian Paintbrush in Corona CA
I have a very mature Indian Paintbrush Plant that was becoming too large for the area I had originally planted it in, so I transplanted it to an area much more suited for its size. I reviewed the que...

Corona, CA
Low maintenance ground cover for pool area in Corona CA
Hi, I have this slope in my backyard that goes up to the neighbors yard. I'm looking for a low maintenance ground cover type plant that will stop erosion and won't cause a mess for my pool which is...

Alta Loma, CA
Trellis plant for Southern California
What is the best selection for a trellis plant? I live in Southern CA (zip 91701), and the area is on the southern part of our home with little or no shade. Thanks!

Wildomar, CA
Red spots on white flower of Anemopsis californica
Do you know what the red spots are on the white flower of the California native, Anemopsis californica? Is it a fungus, insect, or just physiological?

Palm Springs, CA
Privacy hedge for Palm Springs CA
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants I have a 6 foot block wall, and my house is elevated, and I need a privacy hedge or tree (even flowering) to create more privacy. I do not want to use Ficus as I hear they can d...

Palm Springs, CA
Trimming damaged leaves on agaves
Some of the leaves on my agaves are damaged. Can I cut them off? If yes, how can I prevent the wound from becoming infected? Thanks.

Murrieta, CA
Will arctostaphylos grow in Austin, from Murrieta CA
I currently live in Murrieta, CA at 2,000 ft. We planted 800 native plants on our slopes so they were extremely drought tolerant. One of my favorites is the Arctostaphylos family that will take the fr...

Murrieta, CA
Selection of shade tree and distance from house
I live in California in zone 8b. I have seen the lists of trees for my area. I am still not clear on what tree to select. I would like to plant a nice tall shady tree very close to my house, but I wan...

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Plant to repel snakes
name of a plant or plants that repell snakes.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Drought resistant ground cover for Rancho Cucamonga CA
I live in Southern California. Could you please recommend a low maintenance, drought resistant ground cover that does not attract rodents to create as their home (more than one suggestion would be GR...

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Is carrotwood poisonous to Boston Terrier in Rancho Cucamonga CA?
My Boston Terrier always goes to our carrotwood tree and licks the base. He gets so excited that he drools all over the place? Why does this tree cause this reaction in our dog? Is it poisonous to ...

Chino, CA
Project on natives in Connecticut from Chino CA
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, My 10 yr. old daughter is doing a project on Ct., and would like to know what the most common plants, trees and flowers are found in this state. A few of each would be a great ...

Victorville, CA
Identification of stem from a bouquet
I have a stem with leaves that came in a bouquet May 2011. They are still healthy in a vase of water tho they have no roots, just stem. On the back center of each leaf are protrusions half an inch lon...