Santee, CA
California native plants for a steep slope
We are looking for California native plants for a steep south facing slope that do not attract bees. Can you please provide a list?

Santee, CA
Evergreen for inland San Diego, California
I'm looking for an evergreen tree for my inland San Diego residence, 30 foot max height, growth speed is not important. I had decided on the carrotwood until I found your site and discovered the prob...

Santee, CA
USDA Hardiness Zone of Rancho Bernardo, CA
What plant zone is Poway, Rancho Bernardo CA?

El Cajon, CA
Replacing non-native iceplant in El Cajon CA
Help! We are clearing fungus dead iceplant on a massive steep bank. Should I avoid replacing it with more iceplant? Would myaporum prostrate be a better option? Fast growing, erosion resistant, zero m...

La Mesa, CA
Caterpillars ate my Sophora in La Mesa, CA.
Before I noticed what was happening, my newly-planted 1 foot tall Sophora secundiflora was eaten by caterpillars. It now has no foliage. Do you think it will leaf out again?

La Mesa, CA
More on bluebonnets
Do you have a sense of a peak viewing time for Bluebonnets for this spring?

El Cerrito, CA
Fast-growing tree for privacy in Berkeley, CA
Help. I need fast growing tree for backyard privacy. Where in Berkeley is there a tree nursery to Buy Pittosporum trees? Thank you.

Poway, CA
Need Shade Trees for Entry in Poway, California
Hi - Our front door gets a lot of afternoon sun, so we'd like to plant a couple of shade trees near the entry way. Unfortunately we don't have much room between our entry path and the driveway, so...

Poway, CA
Different kinds of plants living in subarctic areas
What are the different kinds of plants live in the subarctic areas?

Alpine, CA
Flying insects eating leaves of non-native Brugmansia in Aline CA
I have an Angel Trumpet tree. We live in Aline, California 30 miles east of San Diego. Little yellow and black flying bugs eat the leaves. Do you have a remedy for this problem.

Alpine, CA
Identification of plant in wildflower show
Was in Julian California yesterday for a wild flower display. Had a bad stomach ache as I was walking around looking at the flowers. Saw this one. About 6 inches tall. Instead of leaves, it had wh...

San Diego, CA
Can oleander poison the ground below it?
Can oleander poison the ground below it? Would it kill/damage grass or other plants below it? Thanks.

San Diego, CA
Mildew and rot in navel orange tree in California
I have a great navel orange tree that seems to have two problems. One of them looks like powdery mildew and the other is some kind of black rot. I have sprayed it several times to no avail. I live ...

San Diego, CA
Shrubs and ground covers for slope in Southern California
Need suggestions for shrubs & ground covers for a west facing, 45 degree angle, sunny slope with compacted, poor draining soil. We live 2-3 miles from the ocean. Thank you.

San Diego, CA
Evergreen vine for San Diego, California
I am looking for an evergreen (San Diego) vine to grow on a newly constructed trellis. Its 12' tall by 8' wide and is on the North side of the house. That area seems to only get sun June and July ...

San Diego, CA
Weak flowering on rosa minutifolia from San Diego CA
Hi, I have a Rosa minutifolia and has been doing great, but when it gives flowers the petals fall too fast, only last a day or two and also the fruit never forms completely and finishes drying so I ca...

San Diego, CA
Drought-tolerant trees for planters in San Diego
We need some ideas for a drought tolerant tree that will provide shade (4 foot raised planters in sunny location) not get too big when mature, and not too messy. San Diego

san diego, CA
Smarty Plants on books for Southwest New Mexico
Which book would you reccommend for Native plants and flowers for Southwest New Mexico - Silver City area?

San Diego, CA
Unusual vine in San Diego County, California
Dear Mr. or Ms. Smarty Pants, I came across an unusual vine winding through a young Zumaque growing off the edge of a mesa in San Diego (coastal sage scrub). The small (fingernail-sized)leaves rough...

San Diego, CA
Smarty Plants on aceae
How is the family suffix "-aceae", as in Asteraceae, pronounced? I find disagreeing claims in my searches- "ay-see-ee" and "ay-see-ay" seem to be the most common, but I've also seen just "ay-...

San Diego, CA
Is hopseed bush poisonous to horses in San Diego
I need to plant a hedge to block unwanted neighbors and shield the horse corral from the house. I love the hopseed bush for its growing habits and color, especially the purple hopseed. I need to know ...