Joshua Tree, CA
National Events Calendar
Where is the link to the National Events Calendar? I would like to submit two events for California.

Palm Springs, CA
Privacy hedge for Palm Springs CA
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants I have a 6 foot block wall, and my house is elevated, and I need a privacy hedge or tree (even flowering) to create more privacy. I do not want to use Ficus as I hear they can d...

Palm Springs, CA
Trimming damaged leaves on agaves
Some of the leaves on my agaves are damaged. Can I cut them off? If yes, how can I prevent the wound from becoming infected? Thanks.

La Quinta / Palm Desert, CA
Privacy screening shrubs from La Quinta CA
I need a solid row of screen tree / shrubs that are at least 10 feet (prefer 12) tall and can be kept trimmed to a narrow (6 foot or less?) width. Will be planted against a 6' cement wall facing west...

Palm Desert, CA
Flowering vine for shade in Southern California
Flowering climbing plant for shade in Palm Desert, CA.

Palm Desert, CA
Growing Magnolia trees in Palm Desert, CA.
Will magnolia trees grow in the Palm Desert/Indio, CA area?

Indio, CA
Removal of pods when pruning Tecoma stans
When pruning Tecoma stans for growth and shape control,should I cut off the pods?

La Quinta, CA
Will wisteria grow in LaQuinta CA?
I have moved to the desert, near Palm Springs, CA from Omaha NE where I was an avid gardener. I would like to know if wisteria will grow in this environment, with temps up to 120 several weeks each su...

La Quinta, CA
Difficulty identifying/finding a plant
I have been advised that the Calandria (sic) is a good plant to cover a cement wall surrounding our home in La Quinta, CA. I cannot find such a plant on line. Can you assist? I want to entirely cov...

La Quinta, CA
Plants for a nursing home resident from LaQuinta CA
I take care of an elderly woman with dementia. She is in a nursing home and she's always LOVES flowers and plants. Do you have any suggestions for potted outdoor blooming plants for the summer in...

Fawnskin, CA
Perennials for mountain cabin in Southern California
We have a mountain cabin at 7,000ft elevation in S. California. Please recommend native perennials. Thanks.

Yucaipa, CA
Preventing seed production in non-native chinaberry in Yucaipa CA
You were just asked about "keeping almonds from producing" I actually found your site to ask how to keep a chinaberry tree from producing its berries. I am considering renting a commercial property ...

Moreno Valley , CA
Groundcovers for Moreno Valley, CA
Hi, I live in Moreno Valley, CA I have a huge flower bed area surrounding our grass I am looking for the best ground cover that will have minimal up keep.

Aguanga, CA
Origin of sticky, smelly substance on dog in Southern California
I just took my dog out (mid August) in Aguanga, CA (high desert) and, after coming back in, noted that his feet and legs were covered in a very sticky substance that STINKS - there is some kind of pla...

Aguanga, CA
Evergreen shrub/small tree for screen in southern California
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants - I would like to find an evergreen hedge, ~15-20' (or so) to screen a busy road (noise and visual). I'm zone 8b - 92539 (close to) - light snow in winter (to -25) and can ge...

Aguanga, CA
Trees native to Anza Valley California
What are the best trees to plant in Aguanga, California?

Aguanga, CA
Determining best time to harvest deer grass seeds in California
When is the best time to harvest deer grass seeds at about 4,000 feet in southern Riverside County California??

Aguanga, CA
Native plants and possible poisonous plants in Aguanga, California
I am in the process of moving to Aguanga California. I am interested in knowing what the native plants are in that area. Are they poison to animals and kids?

Victorville, CA
Identification of stem from a bouquet
I have a stem with leaves that came in a bouquet May 2011. They are still healthy in a vase of water tho they have no roots, just stem. On the back center of each leaf are protrusions half an inch lon...

Riverside, CA
When to plant wildflowers in California
When is the best time to plant wildflowers in California?

Riverside, CA
Is the non-native California pepper tree (Schinus molle) toxic for horses?
Is it safe and a good idea to put a horse corral around an established California pepper tree? Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants