A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

toronto, NV
Smarty Plants on cell elongation
Why do plants grow faster in the dark?

North Las Vegas, NV
Plants for privacy hedge in North Las Vegas
My lot is in North Las Vegas. Looking to plant something that will be a privacy hedge. Full sun with horrible soil. Local nursery suggested the following: Green Cloud and Gray Cloud Texas Sage, Feat...

Henderson, NV
How to Prune a Mountain Laurel to make it more tree like in Hendersen, NV
How do I prune a Texas Mountain Laurel into a tree? Just bought a 15 gal. with two trunks above the crown. Was told that multiple trunks are their natural growth, which is OK. But all research call...

Henderson, NV
Plants For Sale
I have to move out of my home to take care of my mother. I have various plants in the small yard (6 mo old). If I dig them up and pot them, is there someone who will buy them? Thanks,Pat

Henderson, NV
Replacing grass with xeric plants in Nevada
I am looking to xeriscape my front yard - remove all grass! I am thinking 3-4 larger plants: bird of paradise (mesquite??), aloe, and ..?? Also, possibly a Chilean mesquite. Do you have suggestio...

Henderson, NV
Flowering vine with yellow flowers in Nevada
A flowering vine started growing in our Henderson back yard about 2 months ago. It has variegated green leaves & yellow flowers. We decided not to pull it out & now it's spreading. I've looked on v...

Henderson, NV
Where can I find Opuntia santa-rita?
Dear Mr. Plants - I'm trying to locate a type of opuntia violacea-santa rita. (Purple prickly pear) Instead of the normal pads, this cactus has rippled pads that almost look like a type of coral. It...

henderson, NV
Less Maintenance Plant Suggestions for New Raised Bed in Henderson, NV.
We have a newly constructed raised garden bed. I was wondering what kind of plants would be appropriate to plant this springtime in Henderson, NV with less maintenance because I work full time.

Henderson, NV
More on bluebonnets
When (month and week) do you think the "peak of bluebonnet blooming" will be this year in the Austin, Fredericksbug, and Llano, Texas area?

Las Vegas, NV
Vines and shrubs for Las Vegas, Nevada
We live in Las Vegas and would like to put some vines up on the walls of our backyard. One wall is full sun, one is partial sun partial shade, and two are all shade. We want something that is non-in...

Las Vegas, NV
Plants for indoor container gardening from Lax Vegas NV
What is an good flower to grow in a pot? I live in a apt., and like roses,tulips etc. if that helps any.

Las Vegas, NV
Identification of shrub with purple flowers in Las Vegas, Nevada
Large purple flower shrub, flowers are on long stems. Round flowers with green leaves on the stalks, used as front yard landscaping in a new house in Las Vegas NV. Very drought tolerant, shrub grows ...

Las Vegas, NV
Yellowing leaves on Carolina jessamine from Las Vegas NV
Carolina jessamine, has yellow leaves. 3 years old, grows on south wall, full sun. Same plant, in partial shade, has green leaves. Should I feed yellowish plant some nitrogen? If yes how much?

Las Vegas, NV
Non-native bougainvillea annual or perennial in Las Vegas?
Are bouganvilleas annual or perianneal plants? What do you do w/them in the winter time. We live in Las Vegas NV

Las Vegas, NV
Need a privacy screen beside a pool in Las Vegas, NV.
Hi, I need to plant a privacy screen fence next to the pool. There is only 4-5 feet between the wall and the pool. That leaves only about 2 feet for soil. What are my best options for non invasive r...

Las Vegas, NV
Vine for Nevada Sunny Wall
I want a non-invasive vine to grow on a block wall that receives approx 6-10 hrs of sun. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I want to put in a narrow walkway between our house and a block wall to add color ...

Las Vegas, NV
How soon after stump grinding can something else be planted?
How soon after cutting down a Mulberry and grinding up the stump can we plant a new tree in its place?

Las Vegas, NV
Decorative small evergreen tree for Las Vegas NV
I need a small decorative tree to be planted among a pine tree background; would prefer evergreen.

Las Vegas, NV
Vine for full sun in Las Vegas NV
Looking for vine to thrive in full sun in Las Vegas, NV. I tried Cape Honeysuckle and Star Jasmine and both died within 5 days. The leaves were burnt. What's your suggestion? Thank you.

Las Vegas, NV
Failure to thrive of pecan trees in Las Vegas NV
In April this year I purchased two 8-foot tall pecan trees in 3-foot square boxes from a local nursery and planted them here in Southern Nevada. I'm sure I dug a large enough hole to provide plenty ...

Las Vegas, NV
Is Penstemon Poisonous to Dogs?
Is Penstemon palmeri poisonous to dogs? I couldn't find in ASPA guide.