A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Mohave Valley, AZ
Eliminating Arrow Weed from property in Mohave Valley AZ
How do I get rid of Arrowweeds on my property?

Laughlin, NV
Trees for property in Nevada
Mr. Smarty Plants: I would like to plant trees in between Crepe Myrtles than put up a fence along the paved road. The temperature ranges from 27'F to 130'F. It is a full sun all day and I will i...

Golden Valley, AZ
Planting and care of Desert Willow in Golden Valley, AZ.
I got a desert willow to plant in yard. Some of the leaves dried out before I could plant. Will that stop the tree from growing into a decent size tree or stay as a shrub?

Havasu Lake, CA
Landscaping in the Southern California desert.
We are located in southern California in Lake Havasu. I'm trying to landscape sloping areas. I have arrow weeds (Pluchea sericea) and want to get rid of them permanently. How can I achieve this or...

Kingman, AZ
Propagation of non-native, poisonous oleanders
How do I propagate oleanders? Can the cuttings be rooted in water? Or is it better to use rooting hormone and stick the cuttings in the soil?

Boulder City, NV
Leaf problems on Cherry Laurel in Boulder City, NV
I live in Boulder City, Nevada and have 4 cherry laurel trees. I'm having a hard time with brown leaves and loss of leaves. How much water should I give them each season? Temps run from 28 degrees to...

Henderson, NV
How to Prune a Mountain Laurel to make it more tree like in Hendersen, NV
How do I prune a Texas Mountain Laurel into a tree? Just bought a 15 gal. with two trunks above the crown. Was told that multiple trunks are their natural growth, which is OK. But all research call...

henderson, NV
Less Maintenance Plant Suggestions for New Raised Bed in Henderson, NV.
We have a newly constructed raised garden bed. I was wondering what kind of plants would be appropriate to plant this springtime in Henderson, NV with less maintenance because I work full time.

Henderson, NV
Plants For Sale
I have to move out of my home to take care of my mother. I have various plants in the small yard (6 mo old). If I dig them up and pot them, is there someone who will buy them? Thanks,Pat

Henderson, NV
Where can I find Opuntia santa-rita?
Dear Mr. Plants - I'm trying to locate a type of opuntia violacea-santa rita. (Purple prickly pear) Instead of the normal pads, this cactus has rippled pads that almost look like a type of coral. It...

Henderson, NV
Replacing grass with xeric plants in Nevada
I am looking to xeriscape my front yard - remove all grass! I am thinking 3-4 larger plants: bird of paradise (mesquite??), aloe, and ..?? Also, possibly a Chilean mesquite. Do you have suggestio...

Henderson, NV
More on bluebonnets
When (month and week) do you think the "peak of bluebonnet blooming" will be this year in the Austin, Fredericksbug, and Llano, Texas area?

toronto, NV
Smarty Plants on cell elongation
Why do plants grow faster in the dark?

Blythe, CA
Large agave (century plant) flower stalk
HI.I live in Blythe, Ca. and have a GIANT of an agave in my back yard. It is now over 40'high and is blooming. I first noticed the stock growing at Easter when it was about 12' high. It is now t...

North Las Vegas, NV
Plants for privacy hedge in North Las Vegas
My lot is in North Las Vegas. Looking to plant something that will be a privacy hedge. Full sun with horrible soil. Local nursery suggested the following: Green Cloud and Gray Cloud Texas Sage, Feat...

Las Vegas, NV
Vines and shrubs for Las Vegas, Nevada
We live in Las Vegas and would like to put some vines up on the walls of our backyard. One wall is full sun, one is partial sun partial shade, and two are all shade. We want something that is non-in...

Las Vegas, NV
Arizona ash tree with brown leaf tips in Las Vegas NV
We've had an Arizona Ash Tree in our yard for over 7 years it was doing fine until last summer, the tree seems to be struggling with the heat, its leaves look like they are burning up and turning bro...

Las Vegas, NV
Trees that aren't poisonous or don't have poisonous berries for dogs
What trees are not poisonous or have poison berries for dogs?

Las Vegas, NV
Need a privacy screen beside a pool in Las Vegas, NV.
Hi, I need to plant a privacy screen fence next to the pool. There is only 4-5 feet between the wall and the pool. That leaves only about 2 feet for soil. What are my best options for non invasive r...

Las Vegas, NV
Non-native bougainvillea annual or perennial in Las Vegas?
Are bouganvilleas annual or perianneal plants? What do you do w/them in the winter time. We live in Las Vegas NV

Las Vegas, NV
Identifcation of fragrant, white camellia-like flower
My friend describes a beautiful, unusual smelling flower. It was a white camellia-like bloom, but was not a camellia. It was flowering in June or July in the Alabama and Mississippi region. It had ...