A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Twin Falls, Idaho, ID
Plants for soil with basalt outcroppings in Idaho
We have basalt (lava) outcropping in part of our back yard and know we'll have to search for pockets of soil in which to plant. Any suggestions about what trees or shrubs would have a chance in thes...

Hagerman, ID
Regulations on picking native plants and flowers on Government or National Park lands
I was wondering what the laws and regulations on picking native plants and flowers on BLM land and NPS land are, and where I can find this information.

Burley, ID
Which plants grow well together
Please tell me what plants grow best together and which plants do not grow very good together

Mountain Home, ID
How many plant species are in Maryland
About how many plant species are there in Maryland?

Pocatello, ID
Deer-resistant native plants for Idaho
I live in Pocatello, Idaho. Everything we plant the deer eat. Are there trees, bushes, flowers that they won't eat? Is there any barriers or natural repugnant fragrances that will deter the deer f...

Pocatello, ID
Planting under Pine Trees in Pocatello ID
Hi I was wondering if you could give me some ideas of what I could plant under and near some pine trees for my area. The trees are huge and so it is also constant shade where I want to plant. Thanks f...

Pocatello, ID
Non-native little leaf linden (Tilia cordata)
What is the name of the little leaf linden that has no flowers or pods to shed?

Boise , ID
Plant ID of unknown purchased plant from Boise ID
Hi! I bought a tree that the sales person didnt know what it was. I thought it was a cherry tree and now after about 3-4 yrs I know it is but..How do I know if it is an ornamental tree or real fruit t...

Boise, ID
Identification of artichoke-like plant in Idaho
There is a plant/weed growing in the front yard, my mom says it is a flower I say a weed. It looks a lot like an open artichoke and is the same size. It is green except on the tips where it is deep pu...

Boise, ID
Shrubs with sparse leaves and flowers for creek in Idaho
I am looking for several shrubs that have spindly limbs and sparse leaves with flowers. The idea is to place them in front of windows or other views to add a lacey/veiled effect for the observer. I li...

BOISE, ID
Plant ID by pictures from Boise ID
DEAR WILDFLOWER CENTER, TOOK SOME PICTURES A WEEK AGO--THE BOISE BOTANICAL GARDEN IDENTIFIED THE HENBIT BUT COULDN'T IDENTIFY THE REDDISH CYLINDRICAL FLOWERS IN PHOTO #4--CAN YOU HELP? YOU CAN FIND...

Blackfoot, ID
Care for non-native bougainvillea in Blackfoot, ID
Can I plant Bougainvillea in Blackfoot, ID? I would like to plant it but am concerned about the harsh winter killing it off.

Meridian, ID
Tentative identification of non-native Senecio rowleyanus
I am trying to track down a plant that I used to have but do not know what it is called. It grew in long strings of "pea like" balls. When planted in a hanging pot, the stringy "pea" like vines ...

Meridian, ID
Problem with non-native Chocolate Silk Tree, Albizia julibrissin
How do we get our Chocolate Silk Tree that once had redish brown leaves from now green to the original color? Thank You.

Nampa, ID
Plant for part sun in Nampa Idaho
What could I plant in arid SW Idaho on the northwest side of my house along a border against the house? Most of the day this area is in shade, but at the hottest time of the day it gets a couple of h...

Garden Valley, ID
Perennial plants resistant to cutter ants in Aransas Pass, TX
We are moving to Aransas Pass, Texas. Are there any perennial plants resistant to cutter ants?

Wendover, UT
Plant identification of 3-leaf plant with red berries in Utah
I would like to send you a picture to ID a 3 leaf plant with red berries. Could you give me an email to do that? Thanks.

Idaho Falls, ID
Hummingbird and butterfly plants for Idaho
I'm interested in planting a hummingbird and butterfly friendly garden. What do you suggest? I would like something that will rebloom every year and that has long lasting blooms or some different one...

Idaho Falls, ID
Winter-hardiness of hibiscus in Idaho
I bought a hibiscus tree at Sam's Club in Idaho Falls and after planting it, I read the label which says not to go below 50 degrees. Does that mean it is an inside or potted tree to bring in in the ...

Logan, UT
Fragrant native vine for Logan UT
So as a general question for the Utah climate, (Logan to be precise) is there any kind of climbing vines that would take the place of a jasmine even if deciduous in nature? I read the article about th...

Rigby, ID
Fast growing trees in Idaho
I want to plant fast-growing trees on my property in Idaho. What trees are poisonous to horses and dogs? I am particularly interested in the Royal Empress (Paulowmia) tree and the dogwood tree.