A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Enoch, UT
Blossoms but no fruit for gooseberries in Enoch UT
My gooseberries always get loads of blossoms, but I never get fruit. I think they need more sun, and thus, want to transplant them to a sunnier location. What (and when) is the best way to do this?

Dammeron Valley, UT
Plants that are deer resistant for high desert climate in Utah
We are building in a high desert climate in Dammeron Valley, Utah. We want plants that are both deer resistant and require little watering. Can you advise which plants (shrubs, flowers, cacti) that ...

Antimony, UT
Erosion blanket question from Antimony UT
I want to use an erosion control blanket for a hill and want to know what type I should purchase that would allow planting seeds and them growing up through the blanket

Austin, TX
Does the Wildflower Center sell Endangered Plant Species?
Do you guy's sell endangered plants in Austin? Such as the Basin Bellflower, or the Texabama Croton?

Boulder, UT
Identification of plant at 6500 ft. in Boulder UT
Located at 6,500 feet in Boulder, Utah..not Colorado in sandy soil with irrigation, we have discovered a deep green leafy (unfurls from the center) plant with six lobes on each side of the leaf stem. ...

Grand Canyon, AZ
Dfferences between Argemone arizonica and other Argemones
I am trying to find information about the differences between the Argemone arizonica which grows only in the Grand Canyon and the other Argemones which grow in the rest of the U.S. Do you have any...

North Las Vegas, NV
Plants for privacy hedge in North Las Vegas
My lot is in North Las Vegas. Looking to plant something that will be a privacy hedge. Full sun with horrible soil. Local nursery suggested the following: Green Cloud and Gray Cloud Texas Sage, Feat...

Boulder City, NV
Leaf problems on Cherry Laurel in Boulder City, NV
I live in Boulder City, Nevada and have 4 cherry laurel trees. I'm having a hard time with brown leaves and loss of leaves. How much water should I give them each season? Temps run from 28 degrees to...

Canyon Lake, TX
Planting red Columbine and Cedar sage from seed in Canyon Lake, Tx.
I live near Canyon Lake, Texas in the Hill Country. I would like to plant red columbine and cedar sage in the shady areas beneath live oaks and ashe junipers within the limestone soil that is there n...

Henderson, NV
Flowering vine with yellow flowers in Nevada
A flowering vine started growing in our Henderson back yard about 2 months ago. It has variegated green leaves & yellow flowers. We decided not to pull it out & now it's spreading. I've looked on v...

Henderson, NV
Where can I find Opuntia santa-rita?
Dear Mr. Plants - I'm trying to locate a type of opuntia violacea-santa rita. (Purple prickly pear) Instead of the normal pads, this cactus has rippled pads that almost look like a type of coral. It...

Henderson, NV
More on bluebonnets
When (month and week) do you think the "peak of bluebonnet blooming" will be this year in the Austin, Fredericksbug, and Llano, Texas area?

Henderson, NV
How to Prune a Mountain Laurel to make it more tree like in Hendersen, NV
How do I prune a Texas Mountain Laurel into a tree? Just bought a 15 gal. with two trunks above the crown. Was told that multiple trunks are their natural growth, which is OK. But all research call...

henderson, NV
Less Maintenance Plant Suggestions for New Raised Bed in Henderson, NV.
We have a newly constructed raised garden bed. I was wondering what kind of plants would be appropriate to plant this springtime in Henderson, NV with less maintenance because I work full time.

Henderson, NV
Plants For Sale
I have to move out of my home to take care of my mother. I have various plants in the small yard (6 mo old). If I dig them up and pot them, is there someone who will buy them? Thanks,Pat

Henderson, NV
Replacing grass with xeric plants in Nevada
I am looking to xeriscape my front yard - remove all grass! I am thinking 3-4 larger plants: bird of paradise (mesquite??), aloe, and ..?? Also, possibly a Chilean mesquite. Do you have suggestio...

toronto, NV
Smarty Plants on cell elongation
Why do plants grow faster in the dark?

Las Vegas, NV
Arizona ash tree with brown leaf tips in Las Vegas NV
We've had an Arizona Ash Tree in our yard for over 7 years it was doing fine until last summer, the tree seems to be struggling with the heat, its leaves look like they are burning up and turning bro...

Las Vegas, NV
Proper deadheading of non-natives Arabian Jasmine and Crape myrtle from Las Vegas
Advise please on proper deadheading of Arabian Jasmine, and of Crape Myrtle. They are both blooming great but I want to know once the petals fall should I deadhead and will it help them to bloom agai...

Las Vegas, NV
Yellowing leaves on Carolina jessamine from Las Vegas NV
Carolina jessamine, has yellow leaves. 3 years old, grows on south wall, full sun. Same plant, in partial shade, has green leaves. Should I feed yellowish plant some nitrogen? If yes how much?

Las Vegas, NV
Need a privacy screen beside a pool in Las Vegas, NV.
Hi, I need to plant a privacy screen fence next to the pool. There is only 4-5 feet between the wall and the pool. That leaves only about 2 feet for soil. What are my best options for non invasive r...