A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Glendale, AZ
Non-native Filaree seeds for science classroom
Can I purchase Filaree seeds for my science classroom? If so, where?

Glendale, AZ
Need plants for shade in Arizona.
Please suggest plants that I can plant in a shaded area. I live in Glendale, Arizona. The shade will be 100% of the time.

Glendale, AZ
Problems with non-native Japanese privet from Glendale AZ
We have Japanese privet shrub and they seem to be suffering from a disease, need help.

Glendale, AZ
Will hybrid Tecoma stans attract hummingbirds from Glendale AZ
We bought a bells of fire plant; would like to know if hummingbirds like them?

Glendale, AZ
Navel orange disease problems
I live in Glendale, Arizona. I hav a mature miniature navel orange tree. This year it has lost a considerable amount of leaves. Also the fruit all has a large yellow spot. It looks pitiful. What shoul...

Glendale, AZ
Queen Palm Fertilization in Arizona
I placed standard Miracle Grow in a root feeder device and inserted into the ground around all of my Queen Palms. Why have they taken a turn for the worse (furled tips on all new branches) Can you ov...

Peoria, AZ
Problems with non-native, invasive Japanese Privet from Peoria AZ
I have Japanese Privit bushes. one out of 6 has started to grow very small leaves and does not look healthy. Moon Valley told me shortage of zinc, but that has not helped in 3 months. What can I ...

Sun City, AZ
Vines for Poolsides
We would like some color along the pool, but do not want anything with flowers because of the pool. Are there any non-flowering vines that will grow in full sun in Arizona? We have 2 trelis' that we ...

Sun City, AZ
Problems with Texas Ash from Sun City, AZ
What might be causing the leaves on my Texas Ash tree to have brown spots and curl up and die?

Peoria, AZ
Shrubs for shade in Peoria, Arizona
My six-foot block wall is on the west side of my yard. There are two large shade trees in front of the wall. What kind of shrubs can I plant near this wall that only gets sun for about 2 hours in th...

Phoenix, AZ
Deadheading seedless desert willows for continued bloom in Phoenix AZ
We planted two seedless desert willow trees this spring. Both have bloomed nicely but we now have many stems with the spent flowers still on the tree. Your database for this plant says to "Remove spe...

Phoenix, AZ
Information about non-native Canaga odorata, ylang-ylang
can you tell me the composition of canaga odarata or ylang-ylang flower? also, beneficial effects? it's for my science project..

Phoenix, AZ
What to do with agave after it blooms from Phoenix AZ
Hello! I have 2 century plants in the process of blooming. How exciting!! I've never really seen it before. Anyway, what do I then do with the dying/dead plant. Simply dig it up and trash it? T...

Phoenix, AZ
Proximity of orange trees in Phoenix AZ
Do I need to plant my orange tree away from my neighbors orange tree?

Phoenix, AZ
Looking for a summer through winter blooming container plant, for Phoenix.
I'm in Phoenix. I'm looking for a perennial plant that will be planted in a container in a commercial setting, that is under a shaded pergola. She wants it to bloom in the winter and if carried int...

Phoenix, AZ
Cenizo safe for consumption by parrots from Phoenix AZ
Could you tell me if Cenizo, (Leucophyllum frutescens) branches and leaves can be fed to pets? (parrots)I read the leaves were often used for tea for humans, but can't find an information if safe fo...

Phoenix, AZ
Plants for erosion control in arid region
In semi arid south west (Phoenix), the drainage is managed by creating incised channels. Typically, the dirt channel can erode with even very low velocities of moving water. To reduce erosion therefor...

Phoenix, AZ
Texas wild olive tree
I live in the Phoenix area. My Texas wild olive (Cordia boissieri) is about 5 years old, about 12 feet tall and has beautiful blossoms all year long. However, this past year (through all seasons...

Phoenix, AZ
Care of non-native potato tree (Solanum macranthum or Lycianthes rantonnetii)
I live in Phoenix. I bought what was called a potato tree. Purple flowers with blooms quite often. It seemed a little puny and twiggy so I fed it Miracle Grow. It is now gorgeous with lovely leave...

Phoenix, AZ
Privacy screening from Phoenix AZ
I live in the center of Phoenix, Az. On the eastern side of my house we have some 2 story condos next door. The width of the side yard is about 12'-15' and it gets lots of shade. I also have my powe...

Phoenix, AZ
Disappearing sunlight in Phoenix, AZ
I live in a condo in Phoenix, AZ with a north facing patio that goes out about 10 feet and is 20 feet wide. During the summer months there is a span of 1 foot in the front that goes the 20 foot length...