A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Rio Rico, AZ
Evergreen flowering shrubs for AZ
I need to know about evergreen flowering shrubs no more than 3 to 4' height.

Rio Rico, AZ
Plants to stop erosion in Arizona
I'm looking for a plant to stop erosion; I have big wash outs that are starting to erode my yard so I guess I'm looking for deep rooting plants. I live south of Tucson, Arizona. If you can advise me...

Huachuca City, AZ
Do flowers on century plants grow century plants from Huachuca City AZ
The flowers on century plants: can they "grow" century plants?

Sierra Vista, AZ
Tree for caliche soil in Cochise County, Arizona
What trees will thrive in areas of moderate caliche soil in southeast Arizona? My property is at 4,200 feet of elevation. Thanks for your help

Sierra Vista, AZ
Pink wildflowers on DFW runways in April-June
I fly thru DFW quite often and have noticed in April-June timeframe the runways are dotted with a light pink colored wildflower. Have asked the DFW Customer Service folks for the name, ones I've ask...

Sierra Vista, AZ
Why is Asphodelus fistulosus (onionweed) forbidden by property owners assoications?
Our local property owners association is imploring us to remove all onionweed (Asphodelus fistulosus L.). The USDA lists it as a noxious weed. Why? I think it is pretty and flowery. Is it poison...

Vail, AZ
Gregg's mistflower in pot from Vail AZ
I recently bought a Gregg's Mist plant and don't know much about it. I live in Arizona and was wondering how well the plant will do if I plant it in a large ceramic pot? Will it continue to grow? ...

Tucson, AZ
Failure to thrive of Tex-ash in Tucson AZ
I planted a mature (15') Tex-Ash about a year ago. Lately more and more leaves seem to be browning and it has never filled out. I am concerned I am going to lose it if I don't get it something befor...

Tucson, AZ
Problems with Texas wild olive tree in Tucson
Planted a Texas Olive tree in Tucson, Az. Some of the leaves are kind of yellow. It gets part sun and part shade and is growing. Is this due to too much water, not enough water or does it need somet...

Tucson, AZ
Problems with non-native Chinaberry tree from Tucson AZ
I have a 30+ year old Chinaberry tree and this year the branches are much sparser with leaves and there are a lot of small dead branches. Should I fertilize and what should I use? Thank you

Tucson, AZ
Possibility of contaminants leaching from asphalt driveway to adjacent vegetable garden in Tucson
We have planted a vegetable garden next to a driveway. The driveway has recently (within the last 2 years) been covered with asphalt. My concern is that the oil may leach into my vegetables. Is thi...

Tucson, AZ
Making Ruellia nudiflora thicker in pot from Tucson AZ
Can Ruellia Nudiflora be propagated in the same pot as the parent plant? Can it be cut back to stimulate a denser plant? I have plants in several pots and would like to 'thicken' the plant. Tha...

Tucson, AZ
Identification of plant with red beans Catalina Mts., Arizona
While hiking at the base of the Catalina Mts. near Tucson in Jan., I came across a plant, the pods of which were open, displaying a bright red bean. I took some of the beans to plant in my yard. I was...

Tucson, AZ
Propagation of Juniperus deppeana by seed
Hello, I am interested in any info you can provide me on alligator juniper (Juniperus deppeana) seed propagation. Thank you.

Tucson, AZ
Starting Tecoma stans seedlings
I planted and germinated several (about 40) seeds from my Tecoma stans plant and they all sprouted and grew very nicely. They are now about 6 weeks old and they don't seem to be making any more prog...

Tucson, AZ
Seven foot privacy fence in Tucson
I am looking for a privacy hedge for a home in Tucson, Arizona that will be in full sun. Needs to be at least seven foot tall and low water and maintenance. Any suggestions.

Tucson, AZ
Source for Texas Olive Tree from Tucson AZ
Can one start a Texas Olive Tree from the olives it produces? How can you start one. I am having difficulty finding a nursery, but do see the trees around.

Tucson, AZ
Instructions on posting photos of plant for ID
I need help identifying an adopted tree. How do I post the picture so I can show you? It's a odd one I've never seen.

Tucson, AZ
Shade trees for Tucson AZ
I need to plant some "fast growing" trees or shrubs on my southwest yard in order to reduce the heat in my bedroom. What do you suggest? I live in Tucson, Arizona. Thank you in advance. I'm...

Tucson, AZ
Is Cissus trifoliata a food source for wildlife?
We apparently have Cissus Trifoliata growing around and over our porch.I was thinking about trying to remove it and plant grape vines instead as our desert tortoises will eat grape leaves. My question...

Tucson, AZ
Will Texas Mountain Laurel roots damage pipes in Tucson AZ?
We have a Texas Laurel tree in our back yard,and it is doing fine, and we are are planning to put another one in the front yard close to the house will the root system attack our pipes ? no septic sys...