A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Benson, AZ
Euphorbia 'Cherokee' leaves drying from Benson AZ
I have a Euphorbia 'Cherokee' in a pot and has been growing nicely but some of the leaves are turning red and drying up and falling off. Is this normal for this plant?

Huachuca City, AZ
Do flowers on century plants grow century plants from Huachuca City AZ
The flowers on century plants: can they "grow" century plants?

Vail, AZ
Gregg's mistflower in pot from Vail AZ
I recently bought a Gregg's Mist plant and don't know much about it. I live in Arizona and was wondering how well the plant will do if I plant it in a large ceramic pot? Will it continue to grow? ...

Sierra Vista, AZ
Why is Asphodelus fistulosus (onionweed) forbidden by property owners assoications?
Our local property owners association is imploring us to remove all onionweed (Asphodelus fistulosus L.). The USDA lists it as a noxious weed. Why? I think it is pretty and flowery. Is it poison...

Sierra Vista, AZ
Pink wildflowers on DFW runways in April-June
I fly thru DFW quite often and have noticed in April-June timeframe the runways are dotted with a light pink colored wildflower. Have asked the DFW Customer Service folks for the name, ones I've ask...

Sierra Vista, AZ
Tree for caliche soil in Cochise County, Arizona
What trees will thrive in areas of moderate caliche soil in southeast Arizona? My property is at 4,200 feet of elevation. Thanks for your help

Pearce, AZ
Deer resistance of Calylophus berlandieri
Is Calylophus drummondii deer resistant? We have a lot of mule deer in se Arizona? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tucson , AZ
Failure to thrive of non-native Confederate Jasmine in Tucson AZ
My Star/Confederate Jasmine, a 30 foot long wall of it, for over 5 years now has one side of it losing leaves. I seem to remember it did this one other summer, but came back in?? What could be the pr...

Tucson , AZ
Life expectancy of Desert Willow in Tucson, AZ
What is the life expectancy of a Chilopsis linearis under ideal circumstances.

Tucson, AZ
Failure to thrive of Tex-ash in Tucson AZ
I planted a mature (15') Tex-Ash about a year ago. Lately more and more leaves seem to be browning and it has never filled out. I am concerned I am going to lose it if I don't get it something befor...

Tucson, AZ
Making Ruellia nudiflora thicker in pot from Tucson AZ
Can Ruellia Nudiflora be propagated in the same pot as the parent plant? Can it be cut back to stimulate a denser plant? I have plants in several pots and would like to 'thicken' the plant. Tha...

Tucson, AZ
Will Texas Mountain Laurel roots damage pipes in Tucson AZ?
We have a Texas Laurel tree in our back yard,and it is doing fine, and we are are planning to put another one in the front yard close to the house will the root system attack our pipes ? no septic sys...

Tucson, AZ
Disappearance of leaves on desert willow in Tucson AZ
We have a Lois Adams Desert Willow (Tucson, Az). The leaves will pump out and then a day or so later, all of the leaves are gone. The only bugs we've seen on it are very, very small ants. Could this ...

Tucson, AZ
Range and adaptability of evening primrose from Tucson AZ
What is the natural range of the evening primrose? What adaptations does it have to live in the arid Southwest?

Tucson, AZ
Problems with Green Cloud cenizo in Tucson, AZ
I have a large number of Green Cloud Texas Rangers on my property. I water all very consistently, once a week and most of these are around 5-6 ft tall and 15 years or more old. We've only had a few i...

Tucson, AZ
Source for Texas Olive Tree from Tucson AZ
Can one start a Texas Olive Tree from the olives it produces? How can you start one. I am having difficulty finding a nursery, but do see the trees around.

Tucson, AZ
Propagating Texas Mountain Laurel by seed from Tucson AZ
Propagation of Texas Mountain Laurel from seed

Tucson, AZ
Problems with Texas wild olive tree in Tucson
Planted a Texas Olive tree in Tucson, Az. Some of the leaves are kind of yellow. It gets part sun and part shade and is growing. Is this due to too much water, not enough water or does it need somet...

Tucson, AZ
Identification of plant with red beans Catalina Mts., Arizona
While hiking at the base of the Catalina Mts. near Tucson in Jan., I came across a plant, the pods of which were open, displaying a bright red bean. I took some of the beans to plant in my yard. I was...

Tucson, AZ
Propagation of Juniperus deppeana by seed
Hello, I am interested in any info you can provide me on alligator juniper (Juniperus deppeana) seed propagation. Thank you.

Tucson, AZ
Possibility of contaminants leaching from asphalt driveway to adjacent vegetable garden in Tucson
We have planted a vegetable garden next to a driveway. The driveway has recently (within the last 2 years) been covered with asphalt. My concern is that the oil may leach into my vegetables. Is thi...