A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Naco, AZ
Problems with Arizona Ash from Naco AZ
Hi Mr. Smarty.. Live in southeast corner of Az. My Az. Ash is diseased. Just noticed leaves are curled, (still green) and when I open the leaf it has a zillion little white, what look like mites ...

Sierra Vista, AZ
Pink wildflowers on DFW runways in April-June
I fly thru DFW quite often and have noticed in April-June timeframe the runways are dotted with a light pink colored wildflower. Have asked the DFW Customer Service folks for the name, ones I've ask...

Sierra Vista, AZ
Tree for caliche soil in Cochise County, Arizona
What trees will thrive in areas of moderate caliche soil in southeast Arizona? My property is at 4,200 feet of elevation. Thanks for your help

Sierra Vista, AZ
Why is Asphodelus fistulosus (onionweed) forbidden by property owners assoications?
Our local property owners association is imploring us to remove all onionweed (Asphodelus fistulosus L.). The USDA lists it as a noxious weed. Why? I think it is pretty and flowery. Is it poison...

Huachuca City, AZ
Do flowers on century plants grow century plants from Huachuca City AZ
The flowers on century plants: can they "grow" century plants?

Pearce, AZ
Deer resistance of Calylophus berlandieri
Is Calylophus drummondii deer resistant? We have a lot of mule deer in se Arizona? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Benson, AZ
Chlorotic Texas Mountain Laurel in Benson, Arizona
I've planted a Texas Mountain Laurel in heavy clay soil in Arizona. It's been in place for 3 years and flowers each spring. However it's leaves are a shade of medium, yellowish green nothing like t...

Benson, AZ
Euphorbia 'Cherokee' leaves drying from Benson AZ
I have a Euphorbia 'Cherokee' in a pot and has been growing nicely but some of the leaves are turning red and drying up and falling off. Is this normal for this plant?

Rio Rico, AZ
Plants to stop erosion in Arizona
I'm looking for a plant to stop erosion; I have big wash outs that are starting to erode my yard so I guess I'm looking for deep rooting plants. I live south of Tucson, Arizona. If you can advise me...

Rio Rico, AZ
Evergreen flowering shrubs for AZ
I need to know about evergreen flowering shrubs no more than 3 to 4' height.

Portal, AZ
Can two species of Muhlenbergia be cross-pollinated from Portal AZ
Will Muhlenbergia lindheimeri (Big Muhly) cross-pollinate with Muhlenbergia porteri (Bush Muhly)? I am attempting to restore the grasslands on my private property to a pre-1900 state. Bush Muhly was a...

Vail, AZ
Gregg's mistflower in pot from Vail AZ
I recently bought a Gregg's Mist plant and don't know much about it. I live in Arizona and was wondering how well the plant will do if I plant it in a large ceramic pot? Will it continue to grow? ...

Tucson , AZ
Failure to thrive of non-native Confederate Jasmine in Tucson AZ
My Star/Confederate Jasmine, a 30 foot long wall of it, for over 5 years now has one side of it losing leaves. I seem to remember it did this one other summer, but came back in?? What could be the pr...

Tucson , AZ
Life expectancy of Desert Willow in Tucson, AZ
What is the life expectancy of a Chilopsis linearis under ideal circumstances.

Tucson, AZ
Problems with Texas wild olive tree in Tucson
Planted a Texas Olive tree in Tucson, Az. Some of the leaves are kind of yellow. It gets part sun and part shade and is growing. Is this due to too much water, not enough water or does it need somet...

Tucson, AZ
Starting Tecoma stans seedlings
I planted and germinated several (about 40) seeds from my Tecoma stans plant and they all sprouted and grew very nicely. They are now about 6 weeks old and they don't seem to be making any more prog...

Tucson, AZ
Source for Texas Olive Tree from Tucson AZ
Can one start a Texas Olive Tree from the olives it produces? How can you start one. I am having difficulty finding a nursery, but do see the trees around.

Tucson, AZ
Native Plant for a Sunny South-facing House Wall in Tucson
I have a problematic block wall on the south side of the house and I what a plant to soften the look of the wall. I tried butterfly bush which I'm told died from of bounce-back heat from the wall. I ...

Tucson, AZ
Failure to thrive of Tex-ash in Tucson AZ
I planted a mature (15') Tex-Ash about a year ago. Lately more and more leaves seem to be browning and it has never filled out. I am concerned I am going to lose it if I don't get it something befor...

Tucson, AZ
Instructions on posting photos of plant for ID
I need help identifying an adopted tree. How do I post the picture so I can show you? It's a odd one I've never seen.

Tucson, AZ
Problems with Green Cloud cenizo in Tucson, AZ
I have a large number of Green Cloud Texas Rangers on my property. I water all very consistently, once a week and most of these are around 5-6 ft tall and 15 years or more old. We've only had a few i...