Billings, MT
Possible fungus growing on mountain ash (Sorbus sp. or Fraxinus sp.)
We have a mountain ash with something growing several feet off the ground that looks like duckbills or mushrooms. Can you tell me what is wrong with it. We lost one mountain ash tree to something an...

Bridger, MT
Number of seeds per pound for Curvepod fumewort from Bridger MT
Do you know or where can I find the number of seeds per pound for Corydalis curvisiliqua-scrambled eggs?

Cody, WY
Trimming back wildflower beds in Cody Wyoming
I live in Cody Wyoming and I have some wildflower beds in front of my house that didn't get trimmed back this summer...they look like swamp plants now, super nasty. Should I trim them now?

Bozeman, MT
Wild mustard growing in disturbed ground in Montana
I have recently planted "plugs" of wildflowers in beds throughout my yard. Because the soil was disturbed, I now not only have some beautiful wildflowers growing, but also mustard plants growing in ...

Riverton, WY
Can a hibiscus survive in Wyoming?
Can a hibiscus survive in Wyoming if it is taken care of properly? If so, can you tell me how to make it happen?

Butte, MT
Indian paintbrush wedding
I live in western Montana and have become quite fond of the flower known as indian paintbrush. I will be getting married this next July, and would like to incorporate the flower into my wedding; Howe...

Victor, ID
Difference between Pseudoroegneria spicata and Elymus trachycaulus
What is the difference between Pseudoroegneria spicata and Elymus trachycaulus.

Anaconda, MT
Puppy-friendly privacy screen in Montana
I need some puppy-friendly short(< 30') privacy from the gigantic windows of my next door neighbor. But- there are power lines above the area that I needed to plant! I had planned on an aspen grove, ...

Rigby, ID
Fast growing trees in Idaho
I want to plant fast-growing trees on my property in Idaho. What trees are poisonous to horses and dogs? I am particularly interested in the Royal Empress (Paulowmia) tree and the dogwood tree.

Casper, WY
Need a shrub that can tolerate high winds in Casper, WY.
I need a medium height evergreen shrub that can tolerate severe winds, extreme cold, and requires little water. I live in Casper WY, which is high-desert, 5,000 foot elevation, zone 4. We have roaming...

Casper, WY
Antelope Resistant Plants for Casper, Wyoming
What are some drought resistant, full-sun plants for Wyoming that are Antelope resistant - Deer are not much of a problem, but antelope are!

Idaho Falls, ID
Winter-hardiness of hibiscus in Idaho
I bought a hibiscus tree at Sam's Club in Idaho Falls and after planting it, I read the label which says not to go below 50 degrees. Does that mean it is an inside or potted tree to bring in in the ...

Idaho Falls, ID
Hummingbird and butterfly plants for Idaho
I'm interested in planting a hummingbird and butterfly friendly garden. What do you suggest? I would like something that will rebloom every year and that has long lasting blooms or some different one...

Blackfoot, ID
Care for non-native bougainvillea in Blackfoot, ID
Can I plant Bougainvillea in Blackfoot, ID? I would like to plant it but am concerned about the harsh winter killing it off.

Sturgis, SD
Problems with spreading juniper in Sturgis, SD
I live in Sturgis, South Dakota and I have two different varieties of Spreading Juniper in the yard as ground cover. They have developed an orange colored fungus that goes dormant in the winter but a...

Sturgis, SD
Deer Resistant plants in South Dakota
Plants and flowers that deer wont eat and will grow in Black Hills, SD

Darby, MT
Are birdhouse gourds deer-resistant?
Bird house gourds: they smell nasty (to this human being) but I NEED to know if deer are as repelled as a human by the strong odor put off by the plants.

Pocatello, ID
Deer-resistant native plants for Idaho
I live in Pocatello, Idaho. Everything we plant the deer eat. Are there trees, bushes, flowers that they won't eat? Is there any barriers or natural repugnant fragrances that will deter the deer f...

Pocatello, ID
Planting under Pine Trees in Pocatello ID
Hi I was wondering if you could give me some ideas of what I could plant under and near some pine trees for my area. The trees are huge and so it is also constant shade where I want to plant. Thanks f...

Pocatello, ID
Non-native little leaf linden (Tilia cordata)
What is the name of the little leaf linden that has no flowers or pods to shed?

Arlee, MT
Plant identification for Montana
I am in forestry and work by Flathead Lake MT. I came across a wildflower and cannot I.D. it. Two come close..the Low Larkspur and Mountain Bog Gentian. It is blue/purple, 5 rounded petals, leaves are...