Roswell, NM
Will wax myrtle (Morella cerifera) grow in Roswell NM?
We live in Roswell, NM. Will a wax myrtle tree live in our climate and soil?

Roswell, NM
Dumb question about prickly pear
This is probably a really dumb question but I am interested in picking the prickly pear next year when it is in season, and was wondering the best way to get all of the little stickers off of the pear...

Artesia, NM
I have a single stalked plant that has leaves with 5 lobes. Each lobe is also lobed. The leaves are dark green, staggered on the stalk opposite each other. Do you have any ideas what this is?

Carlsbad, NM
Source for purchase of Texas Madrone
Where can we buy a Texas Madrone, the Peeling Tree, or Naked Indian tree?

Mescalero, NM
Epiphyte growing on oak trees in Wildflower Center
Thank you for your response to my question on what is the epiphyte growing on oak trees. I should have been more specific to say " the epiphyte growing on the oak trees around Lady Bird Johnson wi...

Mescalero, NM
Name of epiphyte growing on oak trees
Please tell me what the epiphyte growing on the oak trees is.

Mescalero, NM
Ball moss (Tallandsia recurvata), epiphyte on oaks at Wildflower Center
I visited your center a couple weeks ago, was very impressed with the educational aspects. I noticed the epiphyte commonly growing in the oak trees, and also on the elm oak. Do you have the name of t...

La Luz, NM
Identification of grasses for grazing from La Luz NM
I live in southern New Mexico. I have pictures of a few types of grass that I can't find anyone to help me identify with a name for livestock food. Can you help me with it? If so I can send the pi...

Clovis, NM
Smarty Plants on teddy bear vine
I am looking for a plant called teddy bear vine. The scientific name is Cyanotis kewensis. I had one a long time ago (20+ years) and I loved it, but I can't find another one or find out whe...

Santa Rosa, NM
poisonous landscaping plants in New Mexico
Mr. Smarty Plants, I have been given the task of finding non poisonous plants and shrubbery to add to our new children's playground. This is a Head Start playground so I have to make sure anything w...

Socorro, NM
Trees for Socorro NM
I recently moved from Austin to Socorro, NM. I want to add 2 shade trees to my hot, dry garden. I am considering Arizona Cypress, Live Oak (Quercus Fusiformis - yes, they are native in NM, as well a...

El Paso, TX
Time of year to plant Texas Mountain Laurel in El Paso, TX
When is the best time of year to plant a Mountain Laurel tree in El Paso?

Collin County, TX
Native plants for rain garden in Collin Co., TX
I am developing a Collin County Master Gardenerís program on Rain Gardens (in particular) and Rain Harvesting (generally.) I saw the recent article in your magazine about rain gardens and wondered if ...

Newton County, TX
Advisability of sowing wildflower seeds in mid-January in Lousiana
Newton County borders Louisiana in SE Texas. Can we plant wildflowers now-mid January? The park has recently been graded and many trees blown down by Rita which will make it more sunny. The Garden ...

Williamson County, TX
Identification of native dogwoods in Williamson Co., TX
Hi Mr/Mrs SmartyPlants What are the small-ish wild trees that are blooming so beautifully now? They are practically covered in pretty white blossoms. I've always called them dogwoods but in the vari...

Hays County, TX
Control of Roosevelt weed in Hays County, TX
Roosevelt weed is rapidly taking over the ranchette which we have purchased in Hays County. Any suggestions for reducing or eliminating its presence will be appreciated. Thanks.

San Saba County, TX
Daily water absorption of live oak from soil
How much water does the live oak absorb from the soil per day?

Las Cruces, NM
Trees for a new home in Las Cruces, NM
I've just purchased a brand new home in a sub-division in Las Cruces, NM and I'm looking for some landscaping advice. I come from upper-central Illinois, so I'm used to having trees pretty much al...

Las Cruces, NM
I have a photo of a shrubby plant with large spines. Is there a way for me to attach it? I'm having trouble identifying it. Thanks!

Las Cruces, NM
Smarty Plants on Texas Madrone
Hello, where can one acquire the Texas Madrone for planting? Thank you.

Las Cruces, NM
Are globe mallows (Sphaeralcea spp.) harmful to dogs
My dogs eat the wild globe mallow plants in my yard. Could that be harmful to them?